INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Weather radio don't want connect

• Thank you received: 2
do you have ngnix installed?
3 years 7 months ago #57178

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
No ngnix on Stellarmate, so it is not part of the problem.
3 years 7 months ago #57182

• Thank you received: 370
Just a thought: is a StellarMate device really the right place running the weather radio web server? Or do you have your StellarMate running 24x7 - which should be the typical mode for a web server of a meteo station?
3 years 7 months ago #57271

• Thank you received: 23
so glad you asked the question, it's not clear from the install docs that I should be adding an additional RPi *just* for the web server to not?

to your earlier discussion with @knro in another thread, I feel like the Observatory control systems should be independent from the Telescope/imaging control system, much like Viking and Voyager do - which implies, ideally, two RPis, one of which could host WeatherRadio, Indiunio/relay control, sensors, etc and the other that manages image acquisition.

sorry - this is a thread hi-jack topic, - if worth talking about we should move to another thread. Speaking of which, I will suggest to the web admin team that we should have a section for DIY/Open-source hardware that's INDI compatible as some of these topics are really not INDI per se but related.
3 years 7 months ago #57272

I had the StellarMate already available so I configured it to control my observatory. But you are right, I will re-install everything on a non-StellarMate machine and see where it gets me.
3 years 7 months ago #57286

The way I am configuring/controling my setup is to have an RPi or similar (Odroid XU4) to control the observatory (roof/dome, weather, watchdog, flip flat), and an Odroid on the telescope, to control the mount and instrumentation. Everything being controlled remotely from a laptop or PC. I am far from being ready but I am getting there slowly, indiserver scripts are working, everything connects, had some issues between roof and dome parking but scheduler and watchdog should sort all that up, etc... Will keep you posted.
3 years 7 months ago #57287

Started work on the RG-11 implementation after my device arrived today - starting with the firmware before moving onto the drivers. It seems that for our purposes we don't really need a rain bucket - we simply need to know if it's raining and a monostable output once rain is detected to stop the switch bouncing which the RG-11 does nicely - the only catch is that it like to see 12V.

Now I am *NOT* a programmer and literally learned all I know about Arduino in the last 5 days so bear with me - I've implemented most of the changes in rg11.h which is now producing JSON output which is a start - BUT I am not having a lot fo luck reading gate pins on the HUZZAH Feather I am using.

The problem is that it's not detecting me pulling the pin to ground OR me pulling it high - the few times is has changed state I can't work out why. Wondering if anyone can shed some light.

---- rg11.h ----
// RG11 state (closed = raining, open = dry)
struct {
bool status;
bool isRain;
} RainData;

volatile int current = 0;
volatile int last = 0;

void reset(unsigned long time) {
current = 0;
}

void initRG11() {
pinMode(RG11_PIN, INPUT_PULLUP);
RainData.status = true;
reset(millis());
}

void readRain() {
// grab the current state of the button.
// we have to flip the logic because we are
// using INPUT_PULLUP.
RainData.status = true;

current=0;

if(digitalRead(RG11_PIN) != HIGH)
current = 0;
else
current = 1;

RainData.isRain = current;

reset(millis());
}

void serializeRain(JsonDocument &doc) {

JsonObject data = doc.createNestedObject("RG-11");
data["init"] = RainData.status;

if (RainData.status) {
data["Rain"] = RainData.isRain;
}
}
"
3 years 7 months ago #57436

From what I have read on the RG-11, you likely need a pull-up resistor at the RG11_PIN input of the HUZZAH. A 4.7k or 10k resistor connected to the HUZZAH 3.3 volt supply may be all that's needed, even though you specified INPUT_PULLUP with pinMode (internal pull-up may be too weak). The other output pin of the RG-11 would go to ground so, either the signal would float high with the pull-up, or would be brought to ground.

The other thing I noticed is that 'RG11_PIN' does not seem to be defined in rg11.h. It may be defined elsewhere but it's not clear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 7 months ago #57439

Thanks for the input - yes, the constants are defined in config.h per Wolgang's original. I'm not actually testing using the RG-11 just yet, thought I would get my logic and programming right on the desk before I move to the actual unit - the RG-11 works by closing a relay when rain is detected so it's a pretty simple "switch" - which I am planning on running in an NO configuration - closing on rain - but do you think I can get my code to work reliably? Not sure if it's an electrical thing or a programming thing or both!
3 years 7 months ago #57454

I figured it out! I forgot that teh weatherradio firmware has a delay between changes in state and reporting it and of course I was looking for short term changes - silly me!

I've adjusted the code - I'll spend a little time tidying it up and documenting it and then send to Wolfgang for testing/regression before embarking on the driver itself.

Looking forward to knowing that the contents of my dome remains dry!
3 years 7 months ago #57455

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Gunter on topic Weather radio

Hi Wolfgang,

can you please point me to a manual or information how to use you weatherradio driver?
How can I use my own weather station with this service? I can not find any description.

Thank you

Gunter
3 years 5 months ago #61251

Replied by Paul Muller on topic Weather radio

Gunter - it's a pretty straight forward driver in that it talks to Wolfgang's custom made Arduino firmware that presents uncallbratied sensors data that you can then fine tune within the driver control panel.

Simplistically that would mean your weather station would need to change how it format its output - probably easier to go through Weather Proxy
3 years 5 months ago #61262

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds