INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Why Meteostation does not act on Kstars to close the dome!

• Thank you received: 42
Christophe,

I tested the roof closure to the extent that a mist spray on a rain detector closes the roof.

Do you get the Observatory module's weather indicator to turn red indicating an alert?

I notice you have the Observatory options set to not close the roof on a warning. So does causing a 100% cloud covering generate an alert or a warning?

Does the roof close if you generate an alert when the mount is already parked?

Also mixing and matching combinations with the weather simulator and the rolloff simulator with your custom drivers might help you determine if it is a setting and where the issue resides. I just tested using both the roof simulator and the weather simulator and they work nicely to generate rain and parks the dome/roof. Note the Observatory red cross and the confirming message in the rolloff simulator.

Please include screen shots for the observatory, roof and telescope driver's option panels that are current when the alert is raised.

Regards
Tom
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by wotalota. Reason: a request.
3 years 9 months ago #56537
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Hi, Tom !
I'll look at this whole alert or warning thing when I get home from work and I'll tell you again.
I'll make screenshots of the options I made.

I have another question for you, since you know the RollOffino driver ;-) do you know if it's possible to make the mount go to the park position automatically before the roof closes?

Because obviously if the MeteoSation says to close the roof, it will close the roof without taking into account the position of the mount.
So for me, nothing is going to happen because the roof can't close if the mount is not in park position.

See you
Christophe
3 years 9 months ago #56538

The map cannot be displayed, you haven't specified a location yet.
No it will take into account the position of the mount if you have it set to do so. That is what the Dome's "Telescope locks" and the Telescope's "Dome parks" setting intend to take care of. Plus your telescope parked switch tied into the roof locked detection will keep your scope safe from the roof. But as far as I know the dome monitors the weather and the telescope monitors the dome. If that is correct the telescope will not park in bad weather unless the dome parks. Seemingly there is currently an issue in the implementation, see the current discussion.
indilib.org/forum/domes/6476-dome-parkin...-parking-policy.html

After thought, might the telescope parked switch tied into the roof lock switch be causing the issue you are having.
If the telescope is unparked, the roof is locked, correct? When in that state can the roof respond to a weather alert?

You can first test this by having the mount parked when the weather alert happens. If that works edit the Arduino code to break the link between mount unparked and the roof lock.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by wotalota. Reason: After thought
3 years 9 months ago #56541

hello
so the roof doesn't give me any messages when I'm doing
a simulation of 100% cloud by putting my hand on the sensor.(sceenshot)

Also at the beginning I get an error message about the weather. (screenshot)

you put what designation in meteo that's in rolloff's option. (screenshot)
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Porchet.
3 years 9 months ago #56542
Attachments:

What are you seeing that indicates a weather alert has been generated, something on a Metrostation panel, or in the log file? I suggest you change over to use the weather simulator where it is easy to generate a warning or an alert, see screen shot. See if the observatory panel then shows the results you generate and if there is any response from the roof.
3 years 9 months ago #56544
Attachments:

hello tom
so indeed with the weather simulation...
when I say it's raining, the roof closes.
but if the mount isn't put by me in the park position...
The roof's not moving, thank goodness !
But at least I know that the Rolloff and OK.

so what we need is for the system to first give the order to park the mount and then close the roof.
For the closing it would just be necessary to enter in the parameter a sufficient time to allow the mount to park.

But how to make the system give the order to park the mount?
3 years 9 months ago #56548

• Thank you received: 370
Christophe,
besides all the stuff about how to configure the roof reactions - as far as I understand the MeteoStation driver, it does not set the INDI property "WEATHER_STATUS", which is the property indicating whether the weather is OK, WARNING or ALERT.

If you want to use an Arduino based weather station, you might consider switching to Weather Radio - as part of the same indi-duino package. It is documented here: github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi-3rdparty/b...adme-WeatherRadio.md

Wolfgang
3 years 9 months ago #56550

hello wolfgang
so I'm going to look at the link you put in and probably install this weather radio.
By the way, I've talked about it with Olivier, who's looking with you about installing it on arduino nano.

On the other hand, is there a way to also order the mount to put it on park before the roof closes?
Because without this option, it's difficult to close the roof without damage.
3 years 9 months ago #56551

I ran a test on my roof and it is more prone to damage than I expected.
Telescope's Dome policy: Dome Parks
Roof's Telescope policy: Telescope locks

With a open roof and mount tracking, I caused a weather alert. The telescope kept on tracking and the roof closed.
So the telescope did not get parked nor did the vulnerable telescope block the roof.

I was hoping the telescope would safely park which would release the lock and allow the roof to start to park.
But either the roof being blocked or the telescope given a chance to get parked would have been something.
3 years 9 months ago #56552

• Thank you received: 54
I started looking at the parking policies some time ago, documenting it with video sequences of my 'clamshell' observatory and mount (mount was outside the obsy for obvious reasons). Unfortunately I had something else to take care of and, for that reason, I did not have time to finish the work :(.

There are a number of cases, for roll-off and clamshell observatories, where collision will likely occur between mount and roof as the roof may park, as you observed, before the mount does (see the video at indilib.org/forum/domes/6476-dome-parkin....html?start=12#53277) . I looked at the roof and mount code to see if I could find where the park commands are issued, given specific policies, but I did not find anything obvious. Nevertheless, if a park command is issued for the roof, either from the user, or a weather station warning of bad weather, the roof shall not close before a mount park command has been issued and the mount has completely parked.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, an Issue Hunt ( indilib.org/forum/development/7275-issue...velopment.html#56469 )will likely be put in place that will hopefully generate interest, as this is a problem that must be of concern to a number of people.
3 years 9 months ago #56554

Hello

Thank you for the link to this report, but I'm surprised that we can't fix this problem, as I understand it.

Because otherwise I don't see the point of putting a weather station to automate an observatory.
In any case with the principle of the roof that opens.

Unfortunately I'm not strong enough to be able to help you, alas.

But wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing that kstars does at the end of a scheduled session.

Because at the end of a session kstars is able to put the mount on Park and then close the roof!

Can't we copy this principle and add it in a weather tab?

Regards
Christophe
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Porchet.
3 years 9 months ago #56557

• Thank you received: 54
Bonjour Christophe,

I think the problem can be solved and I would like to put my knowledge into it but, unfortunately, I lack expertise in coding, particularly C++, and a lot of the KStars/EKOS/INDI wisdom that would help make the task easier but I would hope that help is available from people who face the same situation. We have to find the person(s) who can help to "mettre l'épaule à la roue" (put one's shoulder to the wheel) and find the solution which I think may be simpler than expected.

I may be wrong in my thinking but ket's hope not.

Gilles
3 years 9 months ago #56571

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds