INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Use of PENTAX K-5 with KStars and EKOS

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
As PENTAX K-5 owner I would like to use this camera in the context of KStars and EKOS. Unfortunately, PENTAX K-5 is not covered by gphoto. Is there anyone out there who could give me some hints about how to do this?
For remote controlling my camera I started experimenting with pkTriggerCord allowing also command line instructions. Is there a way I can integrate this way of working with EKOS? TriggerCord allows transferring pictures to a local partition from where my Linux Box can access it and process via script or in another way.

I would be very gratefull for receiving hints.
Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Stefan
8 years 10 months ago #4256

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unless there is Linux API for the camera, developing a driver is not an option. If there is no library, you'd have to create one or port one from another OS (if that exists) and THEN we can consider developing a Linux driver for it.
8 years 10 months ago #4258

• Thank you received: 34
I was in the same dilemma. I had an astro-modified K-5. You could manually load and slew in ekos for alignment. But I dont know if it supports DNG raws.
I forced myself to sell my (beloved) K5 for an Canon. It would be nice if you would express your need of Pentax Support on the gphoto2 developer page :).
As far as I know the attempt to support Pentax was made by using pktrigger code. There seems to be no real movement at the moment.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
8 years 10 months ago #4264

• Thank you received: 5
I will try to approach Pentax Belgium tomorrow and see whether I can get a bit further and will report back.

Another option is to start studying the triggercord code. From contacts with the author I understood that he arrived to this version of triggercord after reverse engineering of usb traffic, what pasionates me a bit in some sense.

Have a nice evening,

Stefan
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Stefan Nonneman. Reason: Typos
8 years 10 months ago #4274

• Thank you received: 66
The guys who developed iAstroHub support Pentax on the Raspberry Pi 3, running linux and INDI. Is there any way it can be ported to Kstars? Pentax is a great camera for AP. Can you guys on Kstars work with the iAstroHub guys on this?
6 years 8 months ago #17699

Try to use libgphoto2 from My PPA
6 years 8 months ago #17701

Actually I tried libgphoto2 about a month or so ago and it would not work on the mac.
6 years 8 months ago #17703

You sure you tried the latest libgphoto2 from my PPA? I just added that recently.
6 years 8 months ago #17709

I only know how to install libgphoto2 with homebrew so I doubt your PPA was installed. How do I target it with Home-brew?

This is the kstars log - same before and after unmounting the camera:

2017-07-08T12:19:25: Can not open camera: Power OK? If camera is auto-mounted as external disk storage, please unmount it and disable auto-mount.
2017-07-08T12:19:25: Camera open error (-105): Unknown model

So now I remember the above problems: K5 not recognized and automount - turning off auto mount is not an option (for me and probably most Mac users I would guess) - has the K5 been added?

Thanks
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Greg.
6 years 8 months ago #17712

Right, on Mac, it's a different matter. I thought you were using Linux. Maybe you can ask homebrew to update libgphoto2.
6 years 8 months ago #17715

Yup, thats what I did. I tried to post the homebrew log but too many links. So the logs above are after updating libgphoto2 with homebrew.
6 years 8 months ago #17717

Time to create page: 0.800 seconds