INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Align tab capture/solve should refocus if the filter is different

• Thank you received: 109
I ran into a problem last night where I had set up a sequence in the CCD tab of L R G B on an object. These images captured successfully. I then slew to a new object using kstars. I went to the Align tab, and clicked on capture/solve. The filter wheel was still set on Blue from the ending of the last capture, but the Align tab defaults to "Luminance". The filter wheel switches to Luminance and a capture starts for the alignment, without refocus. This was also successful because my filters are close to para-focal. Switching back to the CCD tab and setting up a new sequence does NOT force a re-focus because at this point the filter wheel is on Luminance... It does not need to change the filter, so no focus. The problem is my filter are close to para-focal, so these Luminance captures are blurry now that I look at them in post-processing.

It would seem this could be fixed in a couple ways.

First, the Align tab could show the current filter wheel setting instead of a default for the Align tab. This has a couple issues though and could cost extra time in alignment. The issue is if you are on a narrow band filter, the capture might not have enough data to solve, wasting time as you switch to another filter and re-focus. The plus side is whatever filter was currently in the wheel is likely already focused, which could save time.

another option would be to realize the filter wheel is not on Luminance (in my case the default for the Align tab), and force a refocus on changing the filter to Luminance. Maybe this could be a check box option for those that do not desire this on the Align tab?

a third option is the ability to force a focus at the start of a sequence no matter what.

I realize a focus can be time consuming, but not nearly as time consuming as having to throw out a filter's worth of subs, so I think it would be a good fix.

Thoughts?

Jim
3 years 7 months ago #58289

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
I would much prefer the alignment to use the current filter if coming from the scheduler i.e. if I have a schedule to take 10 blue, I would prefer to focus, align and capture with that filter. At the moment, it seems to only capture with that . There is a exposure field on the alignment tab which could be used similar to the filter settings exposure, if the exposure works for focus, it should also work for align.
3 years 6 months ago #59237

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds