INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focal position not recording into fits headers

• Thank you received: 139
I'm having a problem, where I can't seem to fully correct my OIII frames. I usually shoot a sequence of HA, SII, OIII subs one hour each. Then repeat all night. I have the focuser set to focus on filter change, so every hour it refocuses.

So I'm trying to figure out why my OIII large dust donut is not correcting out of my OIII frames, yet the smaller ones fully correct out of all frames. The only thing I can think is that usually OIII focal point is a lot different from HA and SII typically. So I went to look in the fits header of my OIII frames and it says the focal point is "0". Not too helpful. As I wanted to reshoot flats at the same focus of the frames. It appears it's not been saving the info.

3 years 6 months ago #59380
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I just noticed this feature by stretching out the dialog box. Does this work? The setting was off, and I just turned it on.

3 years 6 months ago #59382
Attachments:

Well, I just tested this feature, and it does not change the focus when shooting flats. My last focus position was 1572, with SII frames, and I shot HA flats first, and it didn't move the focus position to 1540.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
3 years 6 months ago #59383

Update again, adjusting focus didn't remove the donut in the flats.
3 years 6 months ago #59385

Another update. I'm convinced now that the filter wheel isn't returning to the correct spot when moving from another location other than 0 position. There was a long thread on the cloudy nights forums about this ZWO 2" 7 position filter wheel where it has an issue moving properly. Best solution is to move unidirectionally not bi-directionally. This doesn't appear to be an option in the Indi drivers, but it is in the windows driver settings.
3 years 6 months ago #59401

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, the "3D" shape of the artifacts (bright/dark sides) points at a displacement error, so its likely that the movement accuracy of the FW is the issue.
That you only have the additional option in Win is because they (ZWO) "solved" the problem in the driver, instead of doing so in the firmware. And of course they only supply Win/ASCOM drivers :P
3 years 6 months ago #59527

• Thank you received: 420

What do you mean by that? The Linux and Mac drivers can be found here

astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software-drivers

On that page, select "For Developers". The drivers that INDI uses can be downloaded by clicking Download in each Linux & Mac line.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 6 months ago #59530

Yeah, sorry, sloppy writing. They only fixed it in their ASCOM drivers, not in the lower level SDK that you can download (or the firmware). So only Win has a fix.
3 years 6 months ago #59532

This is pretty disappointing. I hope they put out a permanent fix through the SDK or firmware. I feel like this is a problem that even exists with the 1.25 filter wheel as I’ve had issues with that too. I will definitely write ZWO. I might be forced to use Windows until this gets solved, or take the whole assembly apart and try to get the dust out. I took pretty extreme measures to keep the dust out the first time I assembled it, but dust still got in.
3 years 6 months ago #59534

How would I tell which version of the ZWO SDK is currently incorporated? ZWO's response is to check if I have the latest SDK installed.

3 years 6 months ago #59562
Attachments:

Oh, I first thought it's listed in the INDI window of EKOS, like for the cameras. But it isn't :o
In doubt check the version of libEFWFilter in your installation. E.g., I have
/usr/lib64/libEFWFilter.so
/usr/lib64/libEFWFilter.so.1
/usr/lib64/libEFWFilter.so.1.5.0615
(but that's Linux, not sure where things are on your Mac - or do you use some Pi at the mount?)
Looking at indi-3rdparty git, it seems 0617 is not yet used...

EDIT: I just realize 0617 is only the camera SDK. The FW one is still at 0615, which is what recent INDI uses...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Peter Sütterlin.
3 years 6 months ago #59566

• Thank you received: 23
The ZWO EFW drivers for TheSkyX support unidirectional filter wheel moves, I think INDI needs the same - I also had stodgily large 3D donuts on my filtered shots and it's resulted in me having to pause each imaging after each filter run - take flats and then restart with the next filter to avoid the problem.

TBH I am not sure that unidirectional will help that much, spending the $1000+ required to get an SBIG or FLI wheel is probably the better solution.
3 years 6 months ago #59578

Time to create page: 4.297 seconds