INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip not working with the Astrometry

• Thank you received: 0
HI Wolfgang

Hopefully I have generated a log file with the correct information.

I chose a star in the near of the Meridian.
I used the Align with Capture and solve Slew to target.
I didn't take any pictures and the guiding was off.
The meridian flip was not performed.

Thank you for your support.
Matthias

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-39-...9-09.txt
File Size:2,006 KB
3 years 6 months ago #59642
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Matthias,
your logs show, that the meridian flip has been started and completed - but everything within 1 or 2 seconds. So obviously no pier side change has happened.

What does that mean? Well, it's at least no KStars bug, the problem is somewhere in your setup. Please check the following:
  1. Are the time and location of KStars and mount in sync? There is a KStars / INDI option to sync KStars and mount. Is it enabled?
  2. Is meridian flip enabled for your mount?

Maybe it's helpful if you increase the delay.

Hope that helps
Wolfgang
3 years 6 months ago #59645

Hi Wolfgang

I got up to do the flip myself and Lo and behold!? he did the meridian flip automatically.

Now I have clouds, so I stopped my observation.

I can still see enough stars for testing again, I selected a Star in nearby the meridian to test it is works again.
Unfortunately, it he works not a second time.

Unfortunately, before I started my observation this evening, I switched off all logs.

What I not understand is why is working without Alignment, but once I activate the Alignment the Meridian Flip is not anymore working.
I use not anymore a controller for the mount, perhaps I am wrong but is in the mount are not only a controller for the stepper motor?
I arrange my equipment and then I go to my bed is 3:30am is time to sleep.

I wish you a good night,
Matthias
3 years 6 months ago #59651

Hi Matthias,
did I get it right, it's the second meridian flip that does not work? There is indeed a bug in the most recent version of KStars that prevents a second meridian flip.

We are working on it. If you know how to compile from sources, you could try to use the sources from my KStars clone from invent.kde.org/wreissenberger/kstars.git using branch bugfix_mf_paused.

And do yourself a favor: leave the logs on. Using KStars is komplex and if you want to get help, you will need log files.

Wolfgang
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
3 years 6 months ago #59656

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry my English is not so good
I will try to explain the situation in a few words.

1; The Meridian Flip always works when I only use GOTO, which I tested several times a day and night.

2; The Meridian Flip never works, when I use the Align option with the solver.

3; Except this night he did the Meridian Flip correctly, the only difference to all tests before that all logs were turned off.

Matthias
3 years 6 months ago #59671

Hi Matthias,
the only thing were I'm almost 100% sure: it's not correlated whether the logs are on and off.

For the rest: please post logs, and best with verbose mode on and at least INDI and mount selected in the logging options. This is the only chance how we could drill it down, the rest is speculation...

Wolfgang
3 years 6 months ago #59672

Hi Wolfgang,

Ok, For the next 3 nights the weather forecast is very bad maybe small chance from Sunday to Monday.

Matthias
3 years 6 months ago #59678

• Thank you received: 9
Hi, only my 2 cents: meridian flip does not happen if Kstars and mount disagree about time/location. Only difference is that when you solve for slew to target, KStars *syncs* your mount to the solved coordinates; at that time, if they disagree abount time (for instance, for different treatment of Daylight Saving, that I saw happen) mount will be confused and think meridian is not where it should be.
Double/triple check time and location settings, and time/location sync between KStars and mount (you have three different options in KStars settings about that).

Hope this helps
3 years 6 months ago #59684

Hi Wolfgang,

The tip with the delay was good with H0.3 the Meridian flip works mostly.
At the night from Saturday to Sunday the flip has works, also the new alignment and the guiding.

I have done some test, (before I started with real observation), with objects nearby the meridian line then the new alignment and guiding procedure has not started, (see picture object NGC7380)

From Sunday to Monday the Meridian Flip has not worked and the position of the telescope this morning was really strange.

The log file from Saturday to Sunday log_20-48-41.txt
The log file from Sunday to Monday log_20-22-27.txt

Perhaps the weather is that evening also good enough to try again.

Matthias

P.S. I installed a safety system, to switch off the system on collision.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-48-41.txt
File Size:776 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-22-27.txt
File Size:476 KB
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Haase.
3 years 6 months ago #59938
Attachments:

Hi "picciux",
sorry for my late reply.
The time settings seem be correct, the problem was really the hour setting for the Meridian Flip.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Haase.
3 years 6 months ago #59939

Hi Matthias,
the log from Sunday to Monday is on INFO level, unfortunately. The meridian flip is initiated at 1:08, but there is no entry that the flip completes. So it remains difficult to explains what happens...

Nevertheless, even if you did it already, please check in the INDI dialog whether your mount has the same location as KStars and is working on the same time. A delay of 0.3h seems too much for me.

Just another idea: maybe your Raspberry or your mount changes time after the initial sync between KStars and the mount happened.

It would be great if you could provide a log on VERBOSE level where the MF fails.

Cheers
Wolfgang
3 years 6 months ago #59944

Hi Wolfgang,

Ok, I will check the time after the initial sync.

For me the log file looks also very strange, no more pictures were taken, and the mount ran in the completely wrong direction.

My log setting is
Verbosity: Verbose
Output: File
Ekos: Alignment and Mount

Maybe you think it's good to add schedulers or something else too?

Cheers,
Matthias
3 years 6 months ago #59995

Time to create page: 0.979 seconds