INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars disappears / crashed?

• Thank you received: 25
Good morning.

I had a session a couple of days ago. I manually adjusted focus using autofocus, plate solving, and guidance (using the experimental multi star algorithm). I then set 3 sequences in the camera tab to capture LRGB each one for 20 images. I’m running KStars and indi from RPi4 8GB ram

Next day i checked the RPi, and I didn’t find KStars!!!! It is just vanished without error as if I totally closed it, but I had a hunch that it crashed as the indi driver still working and the scope is tracking (I recently used EQDir cable for the HEQ5). I found 19 L images, so I guess something happened on saving the 29th L and move to R filter (just guessing).

I’m trying to find a log or crash report to read but couldn’t find any. I know that there are many threads about crash reports, but couldn’t find something similar, so my apologies in advance if this is a repeated post.

Thank you
Mohamed
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 7 months ago #59981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please use ekos-debugger to record the crash backtrace which can help us investigate this.
3 years 7 months ago #59993

Thank you Jasem. Is this tool will use the old log files, or I would need to emulate the session to reproduce the bug?
3 years 7 months ago #59999

This tool will catch the crash as it happens, so you need to repeat the session with it.
3 years 7 months ago #60007

I'm using RPi for ekos. Any link on how to install tis tool on RPi?
3 years 7 months ago #60013

After reviewing other similar problems with RPi, I found that it may be a power supply issue. RPi 4 requires at least 3.5A, and RPi3 needs 3.1A. This is about 17% increase in supply and similar "sudden disappearance" of applications has been reported since RPi 4 released. In the /var/log/messages, and /var/log/syslog files, there is a sudden stop of execution of something without error. It just drops from the system without a trace.

I found that I was using the power supply for my old RPi3 with the new RPi4. I upgraded the power supply and will give it a try hoping it will never happen again...
3 years 7 months ago #60052

While power supply could be an issue, it's unlikely. Most likely there is indeed an issue causing KStars to crash so with ekos-debugger it's easier to figure out.
3 years 7 months ago #60101

I would like to use ekos-debugger, but I can't install it over RPi. when I run:

sudo apt-get -y install ekos-debugger

I get "package not found"
3 years 7 months ago #60105

• Thank you received: 20
Try this:
sudo apt-get -y install ekosdebugger
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ouioui01.
3 years 7 months ago #60107

It has the same error:

E: Unable to locate package ekosdebugger
3 years 7 months ago #60112

It's available on StellarMate. For regular raspbian, you can compile from here: github.com/knro/ekosdebugger
3 years 7 months ago #60143

Thanks Jasem. I got it and will post in this thread as soon as I'm able to emulate the error (when skies clear after Sally)
3 years 7 months ago #60159

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds