INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip and other meridian issues with iOptron CEM25P

• Thank you received: 33
Nico, you have entered Flip if HA> .20 it needs to .02
3 years 6 months ago #60622

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Text deleted because it was wrong and I cannot delete the comment.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 6 months ago #60623

• Thank you received: 182
Thanks for pointing that out. I had overlooked this.

It should be LESS than the limit set in the HC, because the HC will otherwise just stop and no flip will ever occur unless the behavior in the HC has been set to flip, and not to stop motion.

I have mine set to 2 DEGREES in Ekos, and the HC to 3 degrees, so Ekos will always trigger the Flip before the mount.

But that should be unrelated of the Parking problem Nico has.
3 years 6 months ago #60624

• Thank you received: 420
Thanks for the correction Jo. I keep on mixing up those two.
3 years 6 months ago #60626

• Thank you received: 8
Thanks for all the tips again but unfortunately no change. The parking thing still stays an enigma to me. I now first purged the data, then set the current position as park position (same as the home position), then write data. When I slew the mount to somewhere and say then "go to home" in the INDI control panel it does it as assumed - nicely goes back to the set home position. So, in theory it should be the same as the park position. But when I press the park button it starts to slew somewhere else. I never let it finish this slew because I have had it once that it reached the limits and I just coud stop it from running too far.

The meridian flip still does not work - no matter what HA I set in Ekos. Still only a minor move and the failed message. Also I tried to set in the hand controller the behavior at Meridian to Stop instead of automatic flip but that doesn´t matter either. The command to flip seems to come from Ekos as the mount makes a micro-move but I have the feeling something seems to avoid the flip.

Cheers, Nico
3 years 6 months ago #60644

Did you try UTC +60 DST = NO
3 years 6 months ago #60654

Nope - can try that but the mounts time and position is updated by KStars annyway. But would that matter? When the mount has the wrong time it would not slew correct to the targets anymore.
Will try it out and report ;-)
3 years 6 months ago #60655

Nope - UTC+1 with DST off (in the hand controller) is not working either - but as thought before, this is updated by KStars.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Nico Augustin.
3 years 6 months ago #60656

I use mout updates kstars time and location, try that.

I think it should be UTC +60 not UTC +1 or is that what you meant?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Brian.
3 years 6 months ago #60657

For your position, the correct setting currently would be DST=NO, UTC +2h. Otherwise there will be a 15 degree discrepancy upon slewing in the position of the mount relative to the object.

There has to be a simple reason for that mount behavior. All I can say is I used my CEM25P again last night and it flips perfectly fine. My settings (in the hand controller) are to flip (not stop) if mount exceeds meridian by 4 degrees set in the hand controller. In EKOS I have set it to flip if HA>2 degrees (not hour angle). But I am also baffled by the Park position, those two problems may be connected.

Nico, why don't you take your telescope (and counterweight) off so the scope or mount won't get damaged by strange slewing and then figure out where your Park position actually is. Then set it to where you want it to be, purge, RESTART Ekos, set the new position, write and save it.

I remember reading a similar horror story on Cloudy nights once, but can't remember how that got solved. You may want to search there.

All I can say is that is a weird setting problem somewhere, it has nothing to do with the CEM25P itself or with EKOS. Both work perfectly fine together.

Can you also please post a detailed log.

Set the log to verbose. You probably won't have to select guider, fits, filter wheel, etc, but definitely INDI, Alignment and the mount. Then run a session in the simulator. You don't even need to pick a target, just slew close to the meridian (using the mount control panel in Ekos), then let the mount cross the meridian. To speed things up you can set HA to >0 in Ekos so the mount will flip as it crosses the meridian. You can work all this out using the simulator. No need to waste precious observing time.

Jo
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 6 months ago #60658
Attachments:

The site management tab in the Control panel uses hourly offsets, not minutes, so it has to be +2 for Nico, not +120.

But yes, the HC uses minutes for the offset, so in the HC he would have to enter +120, in the site management tab in the control panel +2.

Maybe that is the entire confusion? It surely would throw off the mount if he has set +2 in the HC, instead of +120.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 6 months ago #60659

Brian, yes I meant UTC+60 but typed UTC+1 (I know in the mounts hand controller it is given in minutes not hours). However, switching the setting to mount updates KStars is not working either, same bahavior micro-move and meridian flip failed message. Actually that was the setting that I had before. It did not work with both UTC+60 DST=Y, UTC+120 DST=N and also not now with UTC+60 DST=N.

Jo, yes while you wrote the last post suggesting to enable the logging I was already trying that. However, I do enable verbose logging and set it to file; activate INDI and Mount in the Ekos part as well as Mount in the drivers and say okay. Starting the profile, do the testing, disconnect and stopp the session. But there are no files in the logs directory. I tried it three times now and even watched the tutorial once if I oversaw anything... Any advice here? I guess I will do an update of my RasPi now to bring it all on the latest versions (last update was two weeks ago, so not that late but who knows). Will try after the update again and report back later :-)
3 years 6 months ago #60664

Time to create page: 1.364 seconds