INDI Library v1.8.6 Released (21 Aug 2020)

August 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.6 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Multistar guiding doesn't find star to guide on

1 month 1 week ago
schwim
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Multistar guiding doesn't find star to guide on #60166
First time trying this out tonight. I have auto star selected. The green box moves to a location that sometimes has a star, sometimes doesn't, then calibration starts. After the first move I get the following error:
2020-09-17T20:28:36 Lost track of the guide star. Try increasing the square size or reducing pulse duration.

Calibration pulse durations are at default and I can see the guide star (when one is selected) does move with the step. I tried bumping the pulse up to 3000 which made no difference.

I've tried the square at all sizes. Presently it is at 128. I've tried without auto star but it seems to do the same thing regardless. Switching back to the Smart algorithm seems to work.

Link to an image and log file from a failed attempt below. FYI - the star shapes are odd looking due to the astigmatism created by the ONAG.

www.dropbox.com/s/v43wgyot440u2di/guide.fits?dl=0

Thanks!
Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 1 week ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Multistar guiding doesn't find star to guide on #60171
Yeah the stars look pretty bad... I can see why SEP perhaps fails to detect them. I guess once StellarSolver is integrated and then you can select custom profile for SEP guider, you should stick to the "smart" algorithm.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

1 month 6 days ago 1 month 6 days ago by schwim.
schwim
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Multistar guiding doesn't find star to guide on #60203
Hmm. I had not thought of SEP having problems with the star shapes. Interesting. I'll need to test standard SEP with it.

Not familiar with StellarSolver. Where can I find details?

EDIT: I found it.

github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds