INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Scheduler restarts Capture Sequence from the beginning after flip

• Thank you received: 94

Hi Jo, everyone
So it overwrote the files that were already captured?
3 years 5 months ago #60870

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Hi Steve,

No, it did not overwrite the files, since I have the file nomenclature set to include all parameters, including time in the Capture module. They were named consecutively.

What happened is that the scheduler restarted the capture sequence from the beginning, i.e. the filter sequence I had set before the flip was repeated instead of the capture module finishing the Ha set and then progressing to the next filter. As a result, I ended up with only Ha exposures.

Not a tragedy, since Ha is the only filter that works on a full moon anyway, but it nonetheless revealed a bug in the scheduler that was not there during the nights prior.
3 years 5 months ago #60873

Thanks Jo

Trying to decide if this affects me with a dslr
I run batches of 6 captures using the scheduler 'repeat for' say, 10 runs so as to obtain 60 captures with 'remember job progress' checked.
After the flip I suppose it will go back to repeat the current job of six captures on the other side of the meridian and then go onto the next batch of six?
Ahhgghh!!!

Looks as though I'm gonna have to sit by the telescope tonight. Ahhgghh!

Cheers and clear skies,
Steve
3 years 5 months ago #60877

It may not affect you, Steve. Remember Job Progress may override this, if the way that works is by counting the file ending (running number of exposures in the folder).
I would get some sleep and check in the morning.
Jo
3 years 5 months ago #60878

Steve, did you have that problem as well the other night or was this a one-time fluke I experienced?
I can't say, because I reverted back to another functional build I had on my Pi4 that did not have that issue, so did not explore further.
Jo
3 years 5 months ago #61034

Jo, everyone,
Sorry I didn't reply. Haze and full moon prevented any urge.
I'll report back with a log next session.
Cheers
3 years 5 months ago #61040

I updated Kstars last night and the problem did not occur again. I don't know if that was a fluke problem or a bug in he previous build, but it is gone now, so disregard.
Jo
3 years 5 months ago #61061

Sorry for having to come back to this. This is still occurring, or occurring again with the new build from the source as of yesterday.

Here the sequence, analyze and guidelog files:

File Attachment:

File Name: KstarsLog10052020.zip
File Size:491 KB

The Analyze file shows clearly that the scheduler processed O3 before switching to S2. During the S2 sequence, the meridian flip occurred and after the flip the sequence was restarted with O3, instead of finishing the S2 exposure set. I did NOT have 'Remember job progress' set in the Scheduler. In the past, that was only relevant if I wanted to finish the sequence set between different days without starting at the beginning again. It should not apply to remembering job progress after the meridian flip.

Has anyone else experienced the same bug?

3 years 5 months ago #61142
Attachments:

Hi Jo, everyone

This is with 432b0d356e43035a847d3267d0bdc21ec55a23b0 02 Oct.

I have remember job sequence checked. It looks to be OK, but please tell me otherwise.
Here's the log, .esl and analyze.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q4jrc_Qn...jdZUgTmu?usp=sharing

HTH and clear skies,
Steve
3 years 5 months ago #61150

I am running the sequence as well with 'Remember Job Progress' checked tonight. I expect that that will fix it, but that is still not what should be happening. There should be no reset of the Capture Module after the meridian flip. It should continue along the preset sequence.

At least that is what it always did in the past. The philosophy of what 'Remember Job Progress' means may have changed in the meantime, but that does not mean that this is better. The logic why the flip should wipe out the memory of where the capture sequence was before the flip escapes me. It gives up flexibility, as now I have to delete my imaging folder every day if I want to collect additional frames in a filter that had already run.
3 years 5 months ago #61180

• Thank you received: 160

If I understand it correctly, you could avoid that by activating time stamps being added to your file names.

3 years 5 months ago #61188
Attachments:

No. This has nothing to do with the time stamp. I have that set, so I am no losing any images. It's just that it is Groundhog Day for the Scheduler, after the meridian flip. It starts the capture sequence at the beginning, it does not continue as it should be. I.e.my O3 exposures were finished and Capture had advanced to S2 before the flip. After the flip, the Capture module went back and restarted with O3 instead of continuing with S2.

If you want to simulate it, you may have to unselect "remember job progress' in the scheduler tab.
3 years 5 months ago #61193

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds