INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Internal guider: Correction limits?

• Thank you received: 133
Hi,

I'm experimenting with Hys new multistar and GPG guiding. So far it seems to work quite nicely, but what I'm missing at the moment is the limit setting when to actually do a correction in DEC. For RA I can set that in the options, and the default seems to be 0.2". But there's no such setting for DEC, and watching it, it seems to be 0.7", which by itself - and even more compared to RA - is way too high IMO. The scatter plot of guide points is clearly elongated in DEC

Am I overlooking some setting? If not, that would be something quite high on my wish list....
3 years 5 months ago #60900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
To the right of the graph, on the "Control" tab you can set minimum and maximum pulse durations for RA and Dec. Is that what you are looking for? I believe the GPG settings are only for the predictive periodic error on the RA axis.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Rick Bassham.
3 years 5 months ago #60901

• Thank you received: 559
Pit,

GPG only affects RA. DEC guiding remains as it was, so it is controlled by the settings in that little tab in the lower-right called "Control"

Hy

3 years 5 months ago #60902
Attachments:

Rick,

If you use GPG, then the RA section in the lower right isn't used for RA (except perhaps maximum pulse), but rather RA is controlled by the GPG settings in the Guider Settings menu. I guess that should be improved...
As you correctly point out, the DEC settings there are used.

Hy
3 years 5 months ago #60904

• Thank you received: 120
Thanks for the clarification on that. Good to know.
3 years 5 months ago #60905

Hello Hy & Rick,

Yes, that is indeed what I was looking for. However, being a first-timer with the internal guider, there was no "as it was" for me (i.e., I didn't know there is such a tab), and for me the tab name wasn't visible/readable when the default Drift Plot was active :ohmy:

So I gather I need to specify this in ms, and do a proper arcsec->ms conversion myself based on the calibration number. At least for DEC that should be constant, so I've now set it to 45ms, at 128.4ms/" that would be 0.35". Will see next time if that improves the scatter plot shape :)

Last nights guiding went absolutely stable BTW (6h, including meridian flip). Really impressive!
3 years 5 months ago #60919

Just a quick update: Works like a charm with the changed settings:
3 years 5 months ago #60974
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182
That is AWESOME! What focal length guide scope are you using?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
3 years 5 months ago #60976

I started using the internal guider in early 2020, and I too couldn't find those settings, and were told of them, probably by Jo or Wouter.
If I had "guts" I'd just remove them from there, and move all those settings to the guider options menu ;)
To this point I've been hesitant to make changes like that to the UI, as I know people have been using this software for a long time
(so I wind up doing what makes most sense to me for new features, but not disrupting old ones).

Perhaps it is time to rearrange the guider settings?
E.g. I could keep that settings tab there, but just have a note on it saying "moved to ...".

Hy

PS That guiding is incredible! I wish I could achieve that.
3 years 5 months ago #60977

Thanks Jo :D

I use an OAG (ZWO), so it's the main scope = 910mm focal length, guide cam is a 290MMmini binned 2x2, i.e., 1.08"/px for guiding.

Yes, I'm extremely pleased by that performance! (But seeing is exceptional ATM, making things easier)
3 years 5 months ago #60978

Hy,

I fully agree, ATM it's a bit chaotic having to adjust settings in several different places. I'd definitely welcome if you take the burden to clean this up a bit. I think at latest with the Analyze Tab you've proven your capabilities in UI design!
A good site helps a lot. But nothing worth without the software ;)
3 years 5 months ago #60979

• Thank you received: 20

Do it!
3 years 5 months ago #60980

Time to create page: 1.871 seconds