INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

joystick crash logitech f310

• Thank you received: 0
Hello. I am experiencing driver crashes when I connect a Logitech F310 joystick/gamepad under Linux and Ekos. This is with both stable and bleeding edge kstars indi library versions. Device is established under /dev/input/js0.

The crash is instantaneous as soon as I hit connect.

logging outputs:

EKOS logfile:
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.063 EDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Resetting Ekos Manager...
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.085 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "Starting INDI services..."
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.196 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "INDI services started on port 7624. Please connect devices."
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.206 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Ekos received a new device: "Telescope Simulator"
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.263 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Ekos received a new device: "CCD Simulator"
[2020-10-13T20:11:43.282 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Ekos received a new device: "Joystick"
[2020-10-13T20:11:46.490 EDT CRIT ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI driver "indi_joystick" crashed!
[2020-10-13T20:11:46.505 EDT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "Joystick is offline."
[2020-10-13T20:11:46.508 EDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Resetting Ekos Manager...

joystick logfile:
INFO 0.000927 sec : Session log file /home/matlis/.indi/logs/2020-10-14/indi_joystick/indi_joystick_00:22:26.log
DEBUG 34.442455 sec : Configuration successfully saved.
DEBUG 35.993195 sec : Toggle Debug Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG 35.993239 sec : Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
INFO 35.993271 sec : Session log file /home/matlis/.indi/logs/2020-10-14/indi_joystick/indi_joystick_00:22:26.log
DEBUG 35.993329 sec : Configuration successfully loaded.
INFO 43.278013 sec : Joystick is online.

I have the joystick set to the "xinput" mode (there is a button on the back to set either xinput or directinput) although the driver crashes at either setting.

jstest /dev/input/js0 confirms that the Linux driver is responding to command inputs from the joystick.

Please advise, thank you!
3 years 5 months ago #61571

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any change for GDB backtrace to see what's going on?
3 years 5 months ago #61580

Ok, This is for the bleeding edge git installation. (Stable installation is on another computer by the way, with the same result). And disconnecting the joystick eliminates the crash.

File Attachment:

File Name: kstars_bac....log.txt
File Size:6 KB

Let me know if I can provide any other assistance.

Thank you.
3 years 5 months ago #61591
Attachments:

As a follow up, per the suggestion from xsnrg I added debuginfo for q5-qtbase with the command: sudo dnf --enablerepo=fedora-debuginfo install qt5-qtbase-debuginfo

which will hopefully provide additional information.

running the gdb backtrace analysis as described here, fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces, I get the attached backtrace log file:

File Attachment:

File Name: backtrace_...0-14.log
File Size:14 KB
3 years 5 months ago #61645
Attachments:

Please use Ekos Debugger (sudo apt-get -y install ekos-debugger) and go to INDI tab --> then select the profile and finally the indi_joystick driver to debug, then run INDI. Then press RUN.

From KStars, edit the equipment profile and change it to LOCAL to REMOTE , but keep everything else as is. Then connect and if the joystick crashes, Ekos Debugger should have the proper backtrace.
3 years 5 months ago #61670

Following those instructions on my Fedora 33 system, these app and debug logs were generated:

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_app_l...3-41.txt
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_debug...3-41.txt
File Size:1 KB
3 years 5 months ago #61672
Attachments:

Sorry Ekos Debugger has a bug :( I just pushed a fix but I think it's going to take a day for the updated version to be build. Meanwhile, you can run this again manually:
gdb -batch -ex "set follow-fork-mode child" -ex "run" -ex "bt" --args indiserver -r 0 -v indi_joystick indi_simulator_ccd indi_simulator_telescope

Then connect from KStars and hopefully now we get a useful backtrace.
3 years 5 months ago #61674

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic joystick crash logitech f310

Since he is using the copr for Fedora,it _should have_ built and been made available minutes after your push to master. I, however, prevented this from happening because the build was still set up to point to my repository for testing, which of course did not change. I updated it to point to knro/ekosdebugger now, and kicked a build. The new package should be available in a couple minutes, and going forward, will be available a couple minutes after a push to master in knro/ekosdebugger.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Jim.
3 years 5 months ago #61683

Ok, it's hard to keep up with you guys! I'm attaching backtrace logs using both the command line suggestion from the moderator as well as from a newly updated ekosdebugger just to be sure I have the correct tools. I updated my ekosdebugger via dnf to version ekosdebugger-0.0.1.git-20201015134612.fc33.x86_64.

From command line. Just to verify: I issued the gdb command, then from elsewhere, I started kstars, loaded the joystick profile, and performed a connection upon which the joystick driver crashed. I then went back to the command line and cut and pasted the resulting backtrace:

File Attachment:

File Name: gdb_backtrace.txt
File Size:4 KB

Using the updated ekosdebugger, I obtained the following:

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_debug...3-07.txt
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_app_l...3-07.txt
File Size:2 KB

I hope this was helpful. Let me know.
3 years 5 months ago #61684
Attachments:

Jim,

Are debug packages installed on Fedora? I don't see any symbols in the gdb backtrace.
3 years 5 months ago #61695

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic joystick crash logitech f310

They are not installed by default. I gave a command on how to add them for the base qt5-qtbase package, but there are probably others that would be helpful as well. If you know what package in particular, we can ask that he install additional debug packages.
3 years 5 months ago #61696

Yes! I'd be happy to install whatever it takes. Sorry about the inconvenience; my goto distribution is Fedora and I wasn't aware that debugging would be more difficult there. But I have a dedicated laptop that can be used to iron this out so I don't mind adding a lot of debugging packages.
3 years 5 months ago #61697

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds