INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focus a Nikon Z6

• Thank you received: 0

Focus a Nikon Z6 was created by Steven Ball

Hi, I am a newbie to this, I have a Nikon Z6 and I'm trying to 'knock-down' each issue before moving on to the next, I think I have solved connecting my Z6 and I now have my mount connected via EQMOD. My next task is focusing, I have setup the Ekos camera tab and I know it's connecting and taking images. In the focusing tab I can click video preview and get an image, when I try and focus, the shutter opens and Kstars Ekos crashes. I have read the stellarmate.com/support/ekos/focus.html but that doesn't help.

Can anyone help me out here please, there looks to be a lot of settings in both INDI and EKOS that looks like they must all be spot on to work and the permutations are just too great to work on trial and error?
3 years 5 months ago #62161

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86

Replied by maxthebuilder on topic Focus a Nikon Z6

IMHO, with a DSLR the right way to focus would be just to use the camera itself - use the Live View zoomed to the max.
Also consider getting a Bahtinov mask to aid focusing.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
3 years 5 months ago #62162

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic Focus a Nikon Z6

I have a Nikon Z7 and that's the way I focus: using a Bathinov mask and zoom the (always on) Live View to the max with the screen brightness set to +5.

Note that with the focus point red square centered on the screen you can zoom into full screen zoom (it maintains it's centered spot) and use the screen (with a grid displayed) as the centering preview for telescope based alignment and polar alignment if you want.
3 years 5 months ago #62166

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Christopher Miller on topic Focus a Nikon Z6

I'm having tons of issues getting my Nikon Z6 to work (as noted in the link below). If you have any suggestions that can get me past these constant crashes - I'd greatly appreciate it. hoping it's a setting that I just haven't realized is not correct - but I've tried a lot with no luck. Thanks in advance!

www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/8642-ks...with-dslr.html#66961
Christopher Miller

WO GT71 / ZWO 183MC Pro / ZWO EAF / WO Uniguide 50mm / ZWO 290MM Mini / EQ6-R Pro
Meade 8" LX90 / ZWO 224MC / RigelSystems wifi-nFocus / ZWO OAG / ZWO 290MM Mini / Meade EQWedge
AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm Lens / Nikon Z6 / ZWO 30F4 MiniScope / ZWO 120mm Mini / Star Adventurer 2i
3 years 1 month ago #66963

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds