INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Internal Guider in a Distributed KStars/Ekos/INDI environment

• Thank you received: 54
I run a distributed KStars/Ekos/INDI environment for my small automated observatory and I have a question related to the Ekos internal guider.

My setup is as follows:

1) Observatory runs indiserver with indi_weatherradio, indi_watchdog, indi_script_dome and indi_gpsd (observatory is 'transportable') on a Raspberry Pi 4
2) Mount runs indiserver with indi_lx200stargo, indi_asi_ccd, indi_astrometry, indi_pegasus_upb, indi_asi_wheel and indi_flipflat (DIY telescope dust cover only), on an ODroid N2
3) "Mission Control" (in house PC) runs KStars and Ekos
4) All connected via wired Ethernet

If I run in the configuration defined above, the internal guider, in its 'Preparing' mode comes back with a message saying that there may be either a backlash or a mount problem and doesn't allow me to guide.

Now, if I run KStars and Ekos on the ODroid (on the mount) via NoMachine, everything works fine and BTW is quite impressive given that the PA has not been done with precision yet.

I thus wonder, given the network latency and other potential bottlenecks of running my configuration, if I am doing something wrong or omitting some important issues, or if the internal guider can cause problems in a distributed environment. As PHD2 is on the mount's ODroid, I could use it but I would much prefer using the internal guider from the PC inside my house.

I would appreciate any insight regarding this issue. I do not have logs for the moment but I could provide them whenever the weather cooperates.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 4 months ago #62869

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
No real idea where the problem lies, but I also do run EKOS on my laptop, connecting (via Gbit ethernet) to a mount PC running INDI. No issues with the internal guider, works like a charm.

I gather you connect your EKOS to two different INDI servers - does it also happen if you only connect to the mount one?
3 years 4 months ago #63000

• Thank you received: 370
I guess you run a local INDI server on your PC connecting both remote INDI servers with the driver@host syntax, right? And does slewing work in that setup?
3 years 4 months ago #63018

• Thank you received: 20
Under the guide tab, verify that the "Via" setting is the same method for both setups.
3 years 4 months ago #63019

Thanks for all your answers. I will need to investigate further but to provide you with more info,

DerPit, I have not tried connecting to only the mount INDI server but I will give it a try, to see if I can reproduce the problem in that configuration.

Wolfgang, the home PC does not run an indiserver, it runs KStars and Ekos and connects to the indiserver running on the observatory and the one running on the mount (via driver@obsy and driver@mount instances). No slew problem whatsoever.

Schwim, Via is set to Avalon Stargo but I haven't tested both setups.

I realise that as I may likely want to control the system from afar through NoMachine of VNC or... I will thus likely change my configuration to run the suite (KStars/Ekos/INDI) from the mount PC which is powerful enough to do what I need, and connect through driver@obsy, to the observatory drivers. Will test that soon when time and sky permit.

If you have any idea on what may be wrong, I am still interested to know.

Thanks for your help.
3 years 4 months ago #63054

Gilles, sorry, but if you connect to both of the remote INDI servers with the <driver>@<host> manner, you are running another INDI server in the local mode on your PC - which is not 100% necessary. But anyway, that should not matter.

For a drilldown, I would recommend to connect KStars in the remote mode directly to your INDI server controlling the mount and check, if in this setup guiding works.

Wolfgang
3 years 4 months ago #63055

Thanks Wolfgang,

Will do as you suggest, whenever the weather cooperates, which may be tomorrow.

P.S. I may have a question for you on the Avalon Stargo driver regarding remote azimuth-altitude control (M-Zero OBS)
3 years 4 months ago #63073

Sure, if there is some function missing in the driver, I can try to add it.

Wolfgang
3 years 4 months ago #63076

3 years 4 months ago #63092

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds