INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars 3.5.0 final help needed. solver not working

• Thank you received: 41

Hmm I am little bit confused about that and how will help me. Aren't those infos about my location? Cause I do not have issues with that, my RPI has an active internet connection, so location and time are updated all the time. In addition to that, I am not pretty sure that the Mount updates KStar is useful for SkyGuiderPro, cause it hasn't got a GPS.
3 years 3 months ago #64770

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Tried it last night out on the field and I had a successful session.

After PA, turned on my RPI and while I was at Polaris, gone for a blind plate solve. Success!
Then I've framed my target and again plate solve worked just fine.

All of the above, without using the scale and position options checked. So probably I have just to change a bit my usual session habits :-)
3 years 3 months ago #64926

• Thank you received: 1
Posting here in case other noobs like me have the same problem I did...

I couldn't get plate solving to work for the life of me. Tried every combination of solvers, online and offline, ultimately uninstalled everything (including the copies of python 3.9, astrometry, etc. that I had installed myself), reinstalled Kstars and tried again in the simulator with no luck... UNTIL I pointed the sim at a spot with a ton of stars. In that case the internal solver was blazingly fast, just incredible. But then I slewed the sim to a less star rich region and again, consistent failure.

Then I noticed you can *change the gain of the simulated camera in the solver window.* Once I increased the gain to 60, my captures yielded more and brighter stars, and the solver did its thing brilliantly.

So, to nobody in particular: be sure your gain is turned up enough to give the solver data to work with!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 3 months ago #64929

• Thank you received: 809
Euripides, glad to hear it got resolved. So my suggestion would be to uncheck "use scale" and "use position" only if you are having trouble solving. Then once the telescope figures out where it is pointing, then recheck them. Blind plate solving is great if you really don't know where it is pointing or the scale, or if the telescope gets lost somehow. But I wouldn't do a blind solve every time. The computer and solver have to work much harder during a blind solve which will use more energy and more computing resources, and of course if it is using more resources and running more threads there are more chances of running out of RAM, slowing down other processes, or some kind of crash. So normally I would recommend keeping the options checked. But yeah if it isn't solving, just do a blind solve.
3 years 3 months ago #64938

• Thank you received: 809

I agree 100% with this.The solver needs to detect enough stars to do a plate solve and sometimes there just aren't enough. You can also increase the exposure time to achieve this goal, or try pointing at another region of sky. Sometimes with a real camera, I find that in a particularly nebulous region, the presence of the nebula will reduce star detections preventing a solve, and if you slew a little bit away, you can plate solve, and then you can slew back. This is especially true for a small field size on a big telescope.
3 years 3 months ago #64939

Time to create page: 1.404 seconds