INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Camera rotation in kstars

• Thank you received: 7
Hi guys,

Very sorry if repeated.
I'm getting a bit confused with main camera rotation in kstars.
Why in the following screenshot is the camera rotated when really it looks like quite horizontal?

just tried with different settings but I'm confused.
The camera rotates along the same AR coordenate, which it could seem reasonable, but I don't understand the orientation in that screenshot.

Thanks in advance/
3 years 1 month ago #67752
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Is the sky map set for equatorial coordinates instead of azimuthal? To try, go west or east (press w or e) and verify the orientation of the horizon. If it is horizontal and close to the bottom of the sky map then you are in azimuthal coordinates. If not then you're in equatorial coordinates. You can switch between the two by pressing the space bar.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 1 month ago #67753

Replied by Miguel on topic Camera rotation in kstars

Thanks for the reply, Wouter. That was in fact one of the first things I tried. When switching modes, the whole image is rotated; not only the camera, so the result is the same:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 1 month ago #67765
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic Camera rotation in kstars

Could it have to do with the 'lock to NCP setting in the FOV reticle creation menue?
3 years 1 month ago #67768

• Thank you received: 74
Hi,

Did You create this yellow frame with the "FOV"-Symbols (-> Settings/FOV Symbols/Edit)? Then it has nothing to do with the real rotation angle of the sensor, e.g. camera! This you will get by taking a shot in the "align"-modul in EKOS doing a "Capture&Solve" with the option "Slew to Target". With all the correct configuration details regarding the plate solving (astrometry.net) You will receive a so called "Solver FOV" (white frame!) reflecting the real rotation of the sensor.
Od course You can rotate the mentioned FOV-Symbol by entering an new rotation angle in the "Edit"-window of the symbol.

I'm writing this reply, because I myself stumbled upon a inconsistency in the usage ot the rotation angle. As You see in the attached screen shots, I got a rotation angle of ~ -180° in the Align-module with a "Load an Slew" whereas I had to enter a value of 0° for the FOV-Symbo to get the same rotationl!! The figures are distorted by exactly 180°! Seems to me like a wicked bug in the programming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Toni Schriber.
3 years 1 month ago #67769
Attachments:

Replied by Miguel on topic Camera rotation in kstars

Thanks for the replies, escriban and bart.
I did not create that reticle, nor the fov. That's the automatic reticle (the yellow one, I mean) that shows up when the camera is connected and detected. I supposed that always would show the real and supposed camera rotation.

I noticed about this rotation issue (or misunderstanding from my side) last night. My batteries ran out and I had no more chances to try with the real cam; only with the sim.

The solver fov (when done the plate solving), as escriban says, actually reflects the current camera rotation. That's ok. But my doubt is why (without plate solving) kstars apparently does not show a proper camera rotation: if I'm pointing at the ncp and move only declination axis to south (that is, going to east), the camera rotation should move along with this movement with the proper rotation, and not always making the sensor pointing (hence, rotating) to the ncp:

m
3 years 1 month ago #67771
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Chote on topic Camera rotation in kstars

Just playing with Kstars latest version and Astrometry.net result which reports field rotation of my image at 95.3 degrees. In Kstars, I have to put the angle at 275.3 degrees (95.3+180) and check "Lock to Celestial Pole" to make my camera frame orientation on the Skymap right.
Is it still a bug of Kstars, or I somehow misinterpret it?

Thanks
2 years 3 weeks ago #81840
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds