INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Solving, fails

• Thank you received: 32
So, step by step I'm trying to get my Ekos workflow to work. :) Last thing that's failing is the solving module. It's very difficult for me to know if my image is actually ok and if the parameters seem good. The Astrometry.net site also doesn't provide me with a clear arguments page, at least I can't find the options that EKOS puts in automatically. I installed all fits files from 6 arcmin upwards which should include my fov.

This is my line:
--no-verify --no-plots --no-fits2fits --resort --downsample 2 --scale-high 2.73 --scale-low 1.82 -O -L 86.2971 -H 142.838 -u aw -3 82.45 -4 35.8631 -5 45

The scale-high and scale-low options I put in myself, I did find that on the site, but not sure if it's ok to use here. Didn't seem to make a difference though.

I use a 20 second exposure to get enough stars for it to solve, I do have a problem in a corner of my image where I have quite a bit of coma, but is that enough to make it fail? I included the actual image I used to solve, this is a stretched image. The real one is a big fits file with a much more clear light gradient as well.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
8 years 5 months ago #5586
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Pierros Papadeas on topic Solving, fails

Your image resolved correctly on nova.astrometry.net (the online solver)

nova.astrometry.net/user_images/858203#annotated

In that page you can find info about your FOV, pixel scale etc to cross-check your settings.
8 years 5 months ago #5587

Replied by Vincent Groenewold on topic Solving, fails

Now that is interesting, thanks! The FOV seems bang-on, so then the question remains why EKOS is failing on it. Also, the image I uploaded here is stretched and debayered by me, no idea if that might help the solving, but it does look clearer than the raw fits image (that one is green and has a lot of light gradient). I'll try to upload that image as well.
8 years 5 months ago #5588

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Solving, fails

Post a link to the raw FITS image. Also, what's your mount focal length? CCD pixel size?
8 years 5 months ago #5589

Not sure if this works: drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DJMgPBLX7mZ25...VTQ/view?usp=sharing (click on the download arrow on top)

My scope is 750mm in focal length (150 diameter) and the CCD (Canon 6D) is 6.54 microns pixel size.
8 years 5 months ago #5590

The pixel size in the FITS file is listed as 5.4, did you update it to 6.54 in INDI? Also it seems the FITS file is corrupted and missing END header keyword, I will try to check if this issue in INDI with Bayer FITS later today. Finally -L and -H are already scale low and high options and are specified in arcminutes, not degrees.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 5 months ago #5592

I actually did not, no. So let me correct that first and come back to it, is it possible to change this value in the FITS file itself to test it out? Does this difference in size make such a big difference for it to solve?

I did try to load this fits file back in during my session yesterday to perform a "solve and slew" of the picture, but it indeed had an error trying to load it in.

Edit: And also the online solver fails on it indeed. However, when performing the solve during a session it doesn't complain about a corrupt file, so maybe that is a different problem.
8 years 5 months ago #5599

I just tried with EOS 600D and the produced FITS file has no errors. The size is irrelevant IMO to the solver. Maybe you need to try again and verify the FITS file with fitsverify . Also make sure to change the pixel size in the driver as it is used to generate FOV value which is then sent to the solver options to make it search faster.
8 years 5 months ago #5614

Ok, I'll try both. So the difference of that 1.53 microns is enough to make a wrong solve you think? I'm going to use an older raw file, convert it to fits and then see if I can use it to solve it. Thanks for checking!
8 years 5 months ago #5615

The solver failed because of corrupt FITS header in my case, so if FITS is OK, it should solve fine.
8 years 5 months ago #5619

Just on a usage note; can I actually fire up the GPhoto CCD image-settings without the need to connect it to INDI and remote equipment?
8 years 5 months ago #5623

Yes, just got to Tools -> Devices -> Device Manager. Select GPhoto driver from CCD, then click "Start".
8 years 5 months ago #5624

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds