INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Tips for Auto-Focus

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

I always get the same issue - in that EKOS calculates a good curve after 6 or 7 steps, but for some reason it continues to do a dozen or more additional steps that are never needed.  
In this attached screen shot you can see that by step 6 there is a good curve,  But it continues on for 10 more steps in the same direction needlessly.  How do I fix this?  

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Peter Kennett.
2 years 5 months ago #76593
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by hades on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

This the same problem I have observed. Thank you for the screenshot Peter
2 years 5 months ago #76594

• Thank you received: 9
I think "Out step multiple" set to 2 is too few: you have only two shots on the right-hand side of the V. Have you tried with a value of 3 or 4?
My two cents.
2 years 5 months ago #76604

My setting for "Out step multiple" is 3. But I don't understand why there is 10+ iterations for first right-left cycle? Is it possible to made it more "inteligent" and once there is an obvious curve, the algorithm will do second cycle?
Based on screenshot from Peter, the second cycle could start right after 8th iteration has been done.
2 years 4 months ago #77368

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

That's how Polynomial algorithm behaves. I suppose Linear algorithm needs more data points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hades
2 years 4 months ago #77369

Thanks Jasem, I will then try to switch the algorithm to Polynomial
2 years 4 months ago #77372

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

The linear algorithm was developed to overcome certain issues that people experience. More likely for when there is a certain amount of backlash and perhaps when you're not using a stepper motor. It takes longer to achieve focus, but I think people get better results.

If your AF has a stepper motor, and the backlash is minimal, or able to be compensated for, then I would normally use the Polynomial algorithm (which I use now, and usually get good results).
2 years 4 months ago #77376

I have DeepSkyDad AF3 focuser with NEMA stepper motor. I will try to test both algorithms tomorrow
2 years 4 months ago #77378

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark Aston on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Hi All,

I changed over to running EKOS around a year ago and in that time I have not been able to run the focus module successfully with my 8” RC, standard crayford focuser and iOptron EF. I have reached the point where I have good steps in and out, use linear algorithm and get a ‘sort of’ V-curve. All setting seem to be about right for my setup and visually Autofocus seems to drive nicely out-of and back through focus.

My problem is that the module fails with ‘fail to detect a star’ when the image shows an annulus - this is even stepping outside a nominal focus by orders of 10s of steps. The annulus is bright and tracked in the green reticule, but EKOS seems to not track the outer diameter and maybe is attempting to measure part of the annulus rather than the whole.

I’m any case, it will only focus around 1 in 20 or more attempts and even then tweaking does better.

After browsing many discussions on focusing and probably missing the important one, I’m stumped! Can anyone point me in the right direction to track the outer diameter of an annulus for successful focusing?

Many thanks

Mark
1 year 4 months ago #88187

You have to adjust the Sep star settings to allow it to recognize larger star sizes. But even then, you shouldn’t have out if focus star sizes larger than 2 or 3 times the HFR size of an in focus star. Do if your in focus size is 1.5 then your largest out if focus sizes should be no more than 3 or 4”. I get great fox’s results thus way. I never let it focus so far out as to show a star as a donut.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
1 year 4 months ago #88188

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark Aston on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Thanks Peter,

That's useful information. I should note that it's EKOS that pushes the focus to show donuts - I focus to a good level (just a smidge focus in from ideal focus) before I autofocus and even reducing the step size to between 10 and 20 steps for the iOption stepper motor, with a multiplier of 1 or 2, EKOS stills steps away from focus sufficiently to produce donuts on my RC. I'll try the Sep setting when we next have a clear night.

Many thanks

Mark
1 year 4 months ago #88191

Then your step size is too large. There is no one-size fits all, as it all depends on your focal length, motor resolution and focuser. But you need to know how far the focuser must move to increase the HFR by 2x the perfect focus HFR. Then you can divide that by the step size and multiplier to move the focuser out by that amount. I can sho you my settings, but they will not be the same needed for your setup. But once you nail down that setting, EKOS does very well at focusing. I've used the Esatto, ZWO EAF and Moonlight focuser plus the moonlight Litecrawler. All work great once you get it to swing 2X the HFR.

PS: I am using a C11 edgeHD at f/7 (1960mm focal length) with Moonlight Litecrawler and ASI1600MM Pro,)
1 year 4 months ago #88203
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.020 seconds