INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Offline solving fails in Ekos but solve-field works in command line

• Thank you received: 4
Hi everyone,

I have Kstars/Ekos installed on Raspberry Pi 400 running an up-to-date Raspberry Pi OS. I'm running the Kstars version from the repo (3.0.0, Build: 2018-12-21T13:43:03Z). The offline solver option in Ekos always fails after not even a second with the following output in the console log.
However, if I open the command line to run solve-field instead on the same image, with the same options, it works. Granted, it's not the fastest thing in the world, but I get a result within 30s or so. The case with the above output is while using "load & slew" but I have the same problem when capturing and solving.

Note that my Astrometry.Net (solve field version: Revision 0.76, date Mon_Sep_3_15:20:15_2018_-0400) is properly configured and I have all the necessary index files too. As I said, solve-field does work alright indeed. Just not with Ekos.

What could be the problem? I can't seem to find any log other than what's shown in the output window ('/home/pi/.indi/logs: No such file or directory').

Clear skies
Last edit: 3 years 4 days ago by Adrien Barrajon.
3 years 4 days ago #69127

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I would guess the issue is in the star-detection parameters.
That is different between the internal StellarSolver and whatever solve-field uses.
Does your log show how many stars were detected for the failed solve? 

For instance, here's a part of the bottom section of the Align window, with log text for a file I just on which I ran "Load and Slew":Do you get a reasonable number of start detections?
Hy

3 years 4 days ago #69128

• Thank you received: 27
Hi,

seems like a very old version of Kstars. The current version is 3.5.2 build 2021-03-01T:20:01Z
Maybe you have some version conflicts somewhere?

How did you install indi and kstars on your machine? (You say from the repo but, maybe it's new but don't think that is standard for Raspberry, Unless you start from astroberry but then you should have a more recent version)

Paul

3 years 4 days ago #69131

Thank you for your answers.

@hy:
I use an older version that doesn't use StellarSolver. The full output doesn't have any mention of number of stars found:
@PDB: I am 90% sure the version I have comes from the native repos of Raspberry Pi OS. apt search kstars shows this:
I did attempt to install the nightly version on this same install but it was too buggy so I backed off. Now everything works fine except for that solver.
Last edit: 3 years 4 days ago by Adrien Barrajon.
3 years 4 days ago #69141

• Thank you received: 27
Yes, see this now as well in raspbian repo. (wonder when that was added, maybe always just overlooked it)

I also see a kstars-bleeding-6.3.5.2
This is the latest version.
Don't know if this is "standard" or added from Astroberry.

Rgrds,

Paul
3 years 4 days ago #69144

This can't be the standard because I don't see it from RaspberryPi OS. I guess my best chance is to try and get this Astroberry repo working on my Pi 400?
Last edit: 3 years 1 day ago by Adrien Barrajon.
3 years 1 day ago #69336

Time to create page: 0.889 seconds