INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RPI4 keeps losing wifi connection

• Thank you received: 140
I would say your issue is due to using the 2.4ghz wifi connection, this is a known issue when using that and the USB 3.0 ports...so change the RPI to use the 5ghz wifi and also to Chanel 44 this should solve the issues......
3 years 2 days ago #69270

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks. I'll give it a go.
3 years 2 days ago #69271

• Thank you received: 5
Another potential source that I found for my box after having the same symptoms that I kept losing the VNC connection:.
I was able in a problematic session to connect a LAN cable for an A/B test in the backyard and still lost connection in VNC
In the syslog file a crash has been recorded around the times when I lost connection

“612 Comm: Xorg Tainted: G C 5.10.17-v7l+ #1403
stellarmate kernel: [ 189.589306] Hardware name: BCM2711
stellarmate kernel: [ 189.589310]”

Advice from people who know how to find such things was to disable the audio driver (BMC2711). This problem might have arised with a system software update as I just use this box for Stellarmate.
Advice to solve was to open /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf and add a line
blacklist snd_bcm2711

Just one clear night since to confirm it is a permanent fix yet but the audio device was not an issue in the last session.

So maybe in addition to check your Wifi connection is ok you check the syslog if you find similar entries that indicate it might not be a WiFi issue,

Alex
2 years 11 months ago #69580

• Thank you received: 117
Hi Rene, You could easily be suffering from a couple issues. The first and most likely is USB3 vs 2.4Ghz wireless interference (search for this and you'll find a related post/thread). The second issue is less likely but I thought I'd comment that you are putting pressure on your PI's power supply by running all 4 USB connections on the PI4 (if I read that right from your OP). You would be well served to get a powered USB hub for your devices and then only connect the Hub to the PI's USB 3 port. That way, there will be no doubt that the power adapter for the PI4 will only service the PI and not need to supply power to USB devices. The symptoms you describe (item #2) is exactly what I describe in the post about 2.4Ghz WIFI interference with USB3. Finally, when the PI4 disconnects (until fixed), you should wait for about 1-2 minutes and check to see if you can reconnect via the hotspot (10.250.250.1). That may let you connect & gracefully shutdown/disconnect via VNC. Until this is fully resolved, I hope it's obvious that you need a backup of your SD or SSD so you don't have to start completely over if unexpected power off sequences scramble your config! Cheers, Doug S.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Doug S.
2 years 11 months ago #69590

• Thank you received: 182
I have had the same issues for the better part of a year now. My Pi4 also loses connection, but interestingly ONLY to my router. When I run the Pi4 in Hotspot mode, it never disconnects.
I have now added an external dongle through which I connect to my home network on the 5GHz band. That also loses connection at the same frequency as the onboard WiFi, so this has nothing to do with a weak Pi4 onboard transmitter. This is also exemplified by the fact that I continuously run the Hotspot in parallel through the onboard WiFi and that never disconnects.
That way at least, I can always connect to the hotspot and continue to control my Pi4, if the connection to my router drops out. All my peripherals, including the dongle, are attached to a powered USB3 hub.
Also, just in case you are wondering, restarting the network manager does not fix the problem, only a reboot does. This is all on Ubuntu20.04.
I suggest adding this external WiFi dongle, it works great for me and is very fast (867 Mbps connection speed):
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCNP2VL/r..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jo
2 years 11 months ago #69608

• Thank you received: 6
I used to have connection issues constantly on my pi3 and pi4. I ended up just flashing the astroberry image and it's been rock solid since.

www.astroberry.io/

Cheers
2 years 11 months ago #69704

I wonder whether it’s the case I’m using for the RPI that is affecting the wifi signal. It’s a metal case with a cooling fan and holes in the top top allow air-flow. Thinking is I’ve been using that case for over a year with no problems. It’s only been recently that I’ve had issues.
2 years 11 months ago #69727

I doubt it. If the metal case interferes you will have a very weak signal to start with. It would not explain the intermittent disconnects, IMO.

Also, as I wrote, I have similar problems, but only with the connection to my home network. The connection would be fine for hours with a strong signal and excellent data transfer rates of > 400 Mbps, only to drop from one moment to the next. Killing the network manager and restarting it won't restore the connection, only rebooting does. It also makes no difference whether I am using the onboard wifi or an external dongle that is hanging free from any interference. Another indication that this has nothing to do with the onboard wif is that I can run the Pi4 in Hotspot mode from the internal wifi and I NEVER lose connection.

I suspect this has to do with the Ubuntu OS I am using.

What OS are you using?
2 years 11 months ago #69729

I’m using the MATE version of Stellarmate.
2 years 11 months ago #69730

I’m considering chucking the RPI in the bin and buying a mini pc, putting Ubuntu on it and installing KStars/EKOS myself. It will be a much more powerful machine with decent wifi.
2 years 11 months ago #69731

Not really. I have a mini-PC (2 years old by now, though) and I have several Pi4s. The mini-PC works OK, but it has only 4 GB. Overall, the Pi4s are the better performers. Faster and use less power.

Except for that wifi problem I have no issue with them. And at <$90 for the 8GB version including an excellent heat sink with fan, I am a big fan of the Pi4 (pun fully intended).
2 years 11 months ago #69732

The one I’m looking at is from ASUS. It has a core i7, 16gb RAM and 802.11ac wifi. Can’t see how this can be worse than the RPI. Yes it’s more expensive (AUD400) but ‘should’’ perform better than the PI?
2 years 11 months ago #69733

Time to create page: 0.797 seconds