INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

gpsd not working in ekos - ve, /dev/gps->/dev/ttyACM0ry likely configuration issue

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I configured a U-Blox7 USB gps on my astroberry. When I launch the command gpsmon /dev/ttyACM0 it shows the satellites, time and position correctly, at the top it shows astroberry:/dev/ttyACM0 57600.
When I don't specify the device it shows no satellite nor location information and at the top it displays: tcp://localhost:2947
In the ekos indi control panel at first I thought it showed the correct location, but that was not the case, it just showed what was in /etc/location.conf. Once I commented all lines in /etc/location.conf it did not show any location info any more.
I'm sure it's a configuration issue, but can anybody tell me what config setting could be wrong?
Thanks and kind regards,
gdq

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by geert.
2 years 11 months ago #69865

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
Add the GPSD INDI driver to your INDI profile as an AUX driver and configure the device port accordingly.
2 years 11 months ago #69922

• Thank you received: 9
Ok I have seen this same problem.  GPSD works no problem on the Kstars dated 8-2020.  Latest version does not work.  Telling me to configure the port accordingly means nothing to me... It should just work like it always has. Please clarify??
2 years 11 months ago #69932

is cgps and gpsmon returning data? I'd check there first.
2 years 11 months ago #69944

Hello Jasem,
this is in the meantime solved - as I was quite sure it wasn't a problem with ekos.
There were a couple of other problems:
- I suspect that there wasn't a bind with the gspd.socket; hence it worked by specifying on the command line /dev/ttyACM0, but not when without. Once started at boot via gpsd.service, it worked ok
- As I was testing this inside (though close to a window), I wasn't patience enough
Thanks for you reaction!
g.
2 years 11 months ago #69965

I have found the problem for me. I use Pegasus ultimate power hub. It seems the hub has developed a problem with indi driver and Kstars dated after November of last year. Loaded a older version and problem went away.... Bruce
2 years 10 months ago #71379

• Thank you received: 4
Very interesting. I have a UPBv2 and and a Ublox 7 dongle, which also suddenly stopped working together last year. I figured that the dongle had died, but last week I was able to get it running on an RPI4, so that wasn't the problem. I did notice that the UPBv2 was having some intermittent issues with the USB ports - I wonder if it is related to what you found.

I would be happy to trouble shoot if one of the developers wants to tell me which logs would be the most helpful.
2 years 10 months ago #71401

I went through the process of elimination. Disconnecting thins one by one. I then replaced the V2 ubb with a version 1, still the same problem. I then grabbed a RBP1 running an older version of stellarmate and everything came back to life. It is the UBB USB Hub. On the older PI I had only done updated no upgrades. The PI that was having trouble, I had done updates and upgrades on. .... Bruce
2 years 10 months ago #71405

Same problem here.  I have 2 Stellarmate systems and one Astroberry system - all up-to-date with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  U-blox 7 GPS receivers worked until a couple months ago.  No data with the indi control panel - cgps shows no data - gpsmon /dev/ttyACM0 shows all the data.  

I don't see a place to specify the port in Indi.  My USB hub is a 7 port hub RPi hat from Geekworm.  I would prefer not to have to dismantle the package and use a different USB hub.  I have years of Linux experience but only as a user.  If there is a workaround command to start a service in a terminal, I can follow instructions.  But I hope there will be a solution to get back to the plug-n-play operation we had previously.

Any suggestions?  Is there a workaround solution?  Will a future release likely have a solution for this problem?

Ed
2 years 9 months ago #72493

Do you have a /dev/gps symbolic link created? There should be one point to /dev/ttyACM0

Then check /etc/default/gps

By default it uses /dev/gps so that link wasn't created, then gpsd would fail. You can manually change it to /dev/ttyACM0 but the /dev/gps should be created automatically by the system.
2 years 9 months ago #72505

• Thank you received: 226
I once discovered that overclocking the GPU interfered with my adafruit gps adapter.
If this is something you have done, I suggest undoing it in /boot/config.txt
2 years 9 months ago #72514

I created the soft links, /dev/gps->/dev/ttyACM0, on the Stellarmate platforms or /dev/gps->/dev/ttyACM1 on Astroberry.

gpsmon /dev/gps returns data on 2 of the platforms (Astroberry & Stellarmate) but returns nothing on the 3rd (Stellarmate2).
cgps and the Indi Control Panel still return no data.

I don't see /etc/default/gps but I do see /etc/default/gpsd. It is not an executable file. Is there something that can be done with it if it is made executable (chmod +x)?

Ed
2 years 9 months ago #72555

Time to create page: 1.041 seconds