INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Build Kstars Nightly from Git

• Thank you received: 21
Now compiled successfully on a Raspi 3b with a plain Astroberry image, after increasing swap to 2GB.

Anecdotally it used 250MB swap at maximum (reported by htop). The Pi became unresponsive with default swap of 100MB. It took maybe a few seconds at max to connect via Webbrowser with increased swap.
2 years 9 months ago #72381

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 155
I just tried this on a new Pi4 with Raspbian PiOS and got a message that files couldn’t be written to /usr/local due to permission errors. I didn't realize that I had to be Root before starting the script.  Might be something to remind newbies.  
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Peter Kennett.
2 years 9 months ago #72444

• Thank you received: 21
The script has “sudo”s in the respective places or recommends using sudo.

How did you configure for install in /usr/local and which command failed?

Thanks
2 years 9 months ago #72458

• Thank you received: 155
Hello Grimaldo, thanks for replying. I changed the script to install in /usr/local.
The part that failed was when the script was trying to create the Projects directory. I switched to root. and reran the script and it worked after that.

I now have a different issue, seen here:

Hello Grimaldo, thanks for replying. I changed the script to install in /usr/local.
The part that failed was when the script was trying to create the Projects directory. I switched to root. and reran the script and it worked after that.

I now have a different issue, seen here:

Peter
2 years 9 months ago #72467
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 69
Hi,

That's unexpected. On my UbuntuMate 20.0.4 machine, I didn't have to run the script as root and /usr/share/kstars/ contains TZrules.dat
The /usr/local folder on this machine is owned by root, so I suspect you might would have to execute the script with a sudo to be able create things in that folder. The default ~ install probably? avoids this.

If you didn't already have a stable install of KStars on your machine perhaps that's why TZrules.dat is missing?  I'm just guessing here.

Sorry for adding to the complexities of a simple install.

Cheers
 Jerry
2 years 9 months ago #72474

• Thank you received: 559
I believe that Jerry's response re TZrules.dat (time zone rules, FYI) is correct.
Jerry's script builds KStars and Indi and installs them, but installing the standard release does more than just that.
It also installs several data files that KStars needs to run.
It's my impression that to successfully run KStars from Jerry's script, you'd need to first have a working install from a recent release, then, 
on top of that, run Jerry's script to run the latest source code.
2 years 9 months ago #72481

• Thank you received: 69
Thanks Hy, I've updated the README.md file to highlight this dependency / difference in comparison to the standard install.
2 years 9 months ago #72491

• Thank you received: 5
This script works great on my RPi4 and makes keeping up to date with the latest features so easy.

I have tried to use it for the latest stable releases as suggested but that fails at the first step.
The stable release repositories only work if you are running Ubuntu.

I use Astroberry which works on PiOS/Debian so cant use them. It is a bit strange that it works for the nightly release though.

Any help appreciated.
2 years 6 months ago #75649

• Thank you received: 559
With a few git commands, it's straight-forward to modify the script to compile the recent kstars release.
E.g., running 'git log' from the kstars directory shows:

cd ~/Projects/kstars
    git log
    commit e16274917b73450faaa471c0cfe353960755e4d7
    Author: Jasem Mutlaq <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
    Date:   Tue Sep 14 15:47:48 2021 +0300

KStars 3.5.5 stable

We can see that there's a commit Jasem made that marks the 3.5.5 release.
Therefore, in Jerry's script, right after the 'git pull' for KStars (line 133 right now), you could add a new line with 'git checkout e16274917b73450faaa471c0cfe353960755e4d7'
(the ID for that commit taken from the git log command) and that would checkout the KStars source as of 3.5.5 stable, instead of the latest source code.
Later on, the script would compile that release version.

Warning, though. That would likely work fine now, but you'd be using the latest Indi, not a released Indi (as is always the case with Jerry's script).
Also, it's possible that the latest Indi version is not compatible with a particular KStars version, if you go back far enough in KStars.
Of course, the same type of git checkout strategy could be used for Indi.

It's also true that right now, the latest source (which Jerry's script compiles) and the 3.5.5 release are very very similar, so just running his script basically gives you what you want.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Thompson
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 6 months ago #75662

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks for your reply.
I am certainly no expert on using git and using checkout codes is certainly beyond what I have done to date.
Jerry's script did work for me and I have successfully compiled Kstars 3.5.6 as of yesterday so I think it should be OK as it's pretty close to the stable release. What frustrates me is that Windows, Mac and X86 Linux users get the stable release already compiled but we poor RPi users have to compile from source every time and it never seems easy and is always full of gotchas.

I really like KStars and enjoy using it with its always expanding features.
2 years 6 months ago #75663

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds