Perfect WX last night - thought I'd try to image the Western Veil. Running KStars 3.5.4 Beta (Build 2021-05-28T02:09:57Z) on Ubuntu 20.04.2. All devices seemed to be working fine. I couldn't get any shot to solve to save my life. Tried StellarSolver, ASTAP local (all index files), Astrometry local and online. Always the same behavior - image looks great with plenty of stars in focus, solver spins and never comes back or occasionally I'll get the "Solver failed - check to see if you have enough stars" message. It got too late and I gave up before I turned on any logging.
Known issue? Anyone have a known good solver config for latest KStars and Ubuntu? Hints or suggestions?
You can try different star detection algorithms with Stellar Solver. Just doing that has helped me before. And I assume you have installed all the recommended index files. You should also ensure your telescope is synced to the right area of sky and maybe increase the search area.
INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 4, 4gb
Raspbian Buster with AstroPi3 script configuration
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG/ASI120mm @280mm Guide Scope
Waveshare Stepper Motor Board - DIY Focuser
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.
Oh wow - of course! I installed my reducer for a wider shot of the Veil, and forgot to set the scope params to the shorter focal length. I stared at those numbers many times, noting that they were correct (just not for THIS config!)
I'll bet that's it - thanks for the reminder! Might get a chance to try it tonight.