INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Missing filter tag in FITS header

• Thank you received: 8
Jasem,

For me it always adds the FILTER header when I use the Capture module to do a preview.

This weekend I was able to recreate the issue 3 times in a row doing the following:
1. Take a preview image from the Capture Module with a filter (for me this is my Lum in slot 1).
2. Using the scheduler run a job that would use the same filter as just used in preview mode, submit the job.
3. Any of images that start in the sequence that have the same filter for the preview end up with NO 'FILTER' header in the FITS image. Once the filter changes all images end up with a FILTER header.

If the EFW was in a different filter slot than the first filter used in the sequence then all images get the FILTER header.

Note, this doesn't even need to used the Ekos Scheduler, it can also be just done via the Capture Sequence. The other week while I was doing my flats all the Luminance images had no FILTER header as they happened to be the first ones taken after doing a preview capture.

I hope this helps. I've also been looking into the code of both Ekos and INDI. Still can't work out where it is but hopefully the details I've provided might give you some idea where to look.
2 years 7 months ago #74732

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Did some tests yesterday, but can't see any logic. Usually (also in preview) the filter is missing as long as the FW hasn't moved. After selecting a new filter it usually is set in the FITS file, but not always.
It must be in EKOS, when I run the same config from CCDCIEL no problem, and the filter is always in the fits header.

Rgrds,

Paul DB
2 years 7 months ago #74777

• Thank you received: 133
I tend to agree.
I am normally using the capture module only, and before running a sequence manually start an auto focus run. So the sequence starts without having to move the filter, and on quick look they all have the 'FILTER' entry.
I did spot some missing ones in flatfield images, but don't really have a statistics on that, as I don't store the raw flats for longer periods....
So some race condition in EKOS that depends on history of actions seems a plausible explanation...
2 years 7 months ago #74778

So what I found is this: If the default filter wheel is not set, the camera driver is not set to the new filter wheel. In capture module, as soon as you select the filter wheel from the dropdown, it is set a default filter wheel and then this is reflected in the camera --> options --> filter snoop. Is this the issue?

I added a fix that I am testing now so that filter wheel info is also checked whenever a capture happens to synchronize it.
2 years 7 months ago #74779

• Thank you received: 27
That seemed to be the problem (at least for me) After I clicked on the filterwheel drop down box in the capture menu, the snoop device became visible in the camera xml file. After that filters seem to be set in Fits file all the time.

Thks.

Paul DB
2 years 7 months ago #74781

2 years 7 months ago #74785

Hi Jasem,

Thanks for the fix. I will try to do an engineering test later today. I will have to do my own build since I'm on ArchLinux/Manjaro at home.
2 years 7 months ago #74793

• Thank you received: 0
I'm also seeing this issue with a ZWO EFW and ZWO ASI183MM. Hopefully your fix will correct it.
Is there a workaround maybe changing the filter before kicking off a schedule?
2 years 7 months ago #74871

Terry,

Best way around this is to make sure the EFW is in a different spot to what is needed before starting the run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry McKnight
2 years 7 months ago #74927

Jasem,

I tried a local build from that PR branch of yours, still not working. I can recreate the problem.

If you can tell me what I can do to capture verbose logging of what is happening between KStars and INDI that might show what is happening. I have debug logs on but to see the XML requests going through might help.

Cheers
Will
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Will Gauvin.
2 years 7 months ago #74928

Sorry Jasem, maybe a false alarm. I just double checked the directory where I did the build and the git repo was pointing to master not your branch. I will do a new build and try again. Hold tight
2 years 7 months ago #74930

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks Will.
2 years 7 months ago #74934

Time to create page: 1.236 seconds