INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OK, so what am I doing wrong?

• Thank you received: 8
Kevin you made me think of something.

Phil, you say gphoto is working for you. What is the actual commands that you're running? INDI may not be running the same command, which could lead to it not taking the image. So providing the command that is working we can check the INDI code and see if if they match.

Cheers
Will
2 years 8 months ago #73136

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Phil on topic OK, so what am I doing wrong?

"As a simple test, can you put a lens on the camera (or one of the other cameras that don't work, if that would be easier), and see if Ekos can then take a picture?"

I had already done that. I got the same result. I had it in both manual and program modes with the kit lens.
For completeness' sake, I put the camera in the same manual/bulb/"no" lens mode and went back to GPHOTO2, but when I tried GPHOTO2, apparently is has disappeared from my system, because I got some strange error messages that you can see below. At first I thought it was because I was in manual/bulb/"no" lens mode, but when I reverted back to the kit lens in program mode, which was how it was when I first installed and used GPHOTO2, I still had the same error. I disconnected and restarted and reconnected the camera and I still got the same errors. HOWEVER...
...I started Entangle, and it was able to see the camera, AND shoot in manual/bulb/"no" lens mode. So I don't know why GPHOTO2 has stopped working, or has disappeared off the system. Again.
Have I mentioned how much I think Linux sucks?

"Phil, you say gphoto is working for you. What is the actual commands that you're running? INDI may not be running the same command, which could lead to it not taking the image. So providing the command that is working we can check the INDI code and see if if they match."

Well, I'm sure you've read the above, but when GPHOTO2 WAS working, ALL the commands you see below worked. Anything in parenthesis were notes made by me:

ls (list files in current selected directory)
CTRL-C (cancels process)
gphoto2 --list-ports
gphoto2 --auto-detect
gphoto2 --summary
gphoto2 --list-files (on camera SD card)
gphoto2 --get-all-files (from camera SD card)
gphoto2 --list-config
gphoto2 --list-config|grep shut (or other parameter)
gphoto2 --get-config shutterspeed (must be in manual mode)
gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=x
gphoto2 --capture-image
gphoto2 --trigger-capture
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download (will ask to overwrite)
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename "myphoto.jpg"
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename "%Y%m%d%H%M%s.jpg"
gphoto2 --set-config capturetarget=0 (does not write to SD card and downloads, =1 reverts)
gphoto2 --capture-tethered (CTRL-C cancels)
gphoto2 --capture-tethered=XXs (runs tethers for specified period of time)
gphoto2 --trigger-capture "--camera=(camera name)" (when more than one camera is connected)

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Phil.
2 years 8 months ago #73154
Attachments:

...and, while I'm clutching for straws here, WHY would GPHOTO2 just disappear like that? Could that be what's causing Ekos to not work, if it tries to access GPHOTO2 in order to control the cameras? I went back to the add/remove software panel, and it still list it as installed. It was not listed this way when I first installed it, but now still is.

While we're in this panel, there appears to be a number of other GPHOTO2-related installations, are any of these uninstalled items needed by Ekos to work with GPHOTO2, and if so, why wouldn't they already be installed? Would any of them appear to help the situation?

Just reaching out into the void...

2 years 8 months ago #73173
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 102
You have some typos in your commands, which is probably why you were getting errors.

First, you typed "gphoto2 auto-detect", that should have been "gphoto2 --auto-detect". Second, you misspelled "download" in "gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download"

I know this doesn't make you more warm and fuzzy with Linux. :)

I did some searching, and at least one person was able to get past this problem by using the INDI gphoto DSLR driver instead of the (in this case) Canon DSLR driver. Can you give that a try?
2 years 8 months ago #73174

"You have some typos in your commands, which is probably why you were getting errors."

Ha! Yeah, Linux... :-) However I'm curious why GPHOTO2 wasn't installed the first time I went to use it (when I didn't have typos LOL). I had to install it. Doesn't Ekos need it, or is GPHOTO2 embedded into it somehow?

"I did some searching, and at least one person was able to get past this problem by using the INDI gphoto DSLR driver instead of the (in this case) Canon DSLR driver. Can you give that a try?"

Are you saying use the generic driver in Ekos, or something else? If you meant the generic, I'll try that anyway and see what happens. If you meant something else, I wouldn't know how to go about that.
Thanks
EDIT: I tried the generic driver, same thing.

2 years 8 months ago #73176

I see in a previous post you used gphoto2 in program mode, not bulb mode. Can you try gphoto2 in bulb mode? Something like this should take a 30s image (I haven't tried it, my DSLRs all have dead batteries right now).
gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=30s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event-and-download=2s
2 years 8 months ago #73177

Oh, and as for why gphoto2 wasn't installed. It's split into two packages. A library, that can be used by other programs, and a command line client. The library was already installed and used by INDI, just not the command line tool.
2 years 8 months ago #73178

Well, with that command, I got this:
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=30s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event-and-download=2s

*** Error ***              
Failed to set new configuration value 1 for configuration entry bulb.
Waiting for 30 seconds for events from camera. Press Ctrl-C to abort.
UNKNOWN PTP Property 5007 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 5008 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 500d changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 500e changed

I tried Entangle in manual mode. It can control the camera up to it's 30 second available shutter speed, but it either doesn't appear to be designed to control a camera in BULB, or it was affected by the same error as in the command line above.

2 years 8 months ago #73179
Attachments:

I'm assuming you already had the camera in bulb mode when issuing that command. Well darn, I'm pretty much out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is to disable the "force bulb" mode setting. Although I don't have high hopes for that.

I've used 3 different Canon DSLRs with INDI (Rebel T1i/500D, 7D, and 7D Mk II), and a friend of mine uses a Nikon D5300, with no problems.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I know you want to give up on KStars/Ekos/INDI, and at this point, I don't blame you.

Maybe someone else will have better ideas than me. :(
2 years 8 months ago #73180

Yeah, I suppose it's just the camera. I looked at the D5300, but it appears to have the same hybrid USB/AV, so that gives pause. The D5100 works with BackyadNikon on Windows however, I'll have to use that for now, although that means I lose the wireless convenience that attracted me to Astroberry in the first place, but Linux is just too dysfunctional. I'll continue using this system until I can rig up a NINA setup on a Windows MiniPC, which will emulate this setup and I can be wireless again.

Thanks to you and everyone for your efforts.
2 years 8 months ago #73199

OK, so in an act of desperation, I've reconnected my full frame Nikon D600, which actually DOES work with Astroberry, and even tho I don't plan to use it with Astroberry, I decided to use it as a test mule to continue running through tests to see if I may decide to get another Nikon APS-C body that will also work with Astroberry.

So I finally got the FITS Viewer to NOT come up when I shoot, and I can get it to make a set of lights, darks, flats and bias. However the act of downloading the files to the Astroberry takes an inordinate amount of time, and holds up the whole shooting process, even tho it no longer brings up the FITS Viewer, or I have a delay set between frames in the shooting sequence. So I changed the format from FITS to RAW, because I read that FITS files were pretty big, and it still takes too long to download a file to the Pi.

So I went into all the settings I could find to tell Ekos to write instead to the camera's SD card, in RAW, instead of downloading to the Pi. However what Ekos does is to write to the SD card AND download the image to the Pi.

I have to say this system never fails to piss me off somehow. So is there any way to get Ekos to simply fire the camera off and just let it save to the SD card ONLY? If not, then this time I'm truly done with Astroberry.

Thanks
2 years 8 months ago #73254

• Thank you received: 94
 "is there any way to get Ekos to simply fire the camera off and just let it save to the SD card ONLY"
Hi
In the capture tab, choose Save -> Locally:

HTH

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by alacant.
2 years 8 months ago #73259
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds