Thank you Jasem for taking the time to test it!
This doesn't happen for me either if I use the simulator, however it happens "in production" with my gears.
I have the following setup:
- SW EQ6 Pro
- ASI 1600 GT (same as 1600 MM but with EFW incorporated SBIG-like)
- ASI 290 MM mini for guiding
- ASI EAF Motor
- Pegasus Power Box Advance
I run everything on the Raspberry to which I connect using VNC via browser or alternatively TeamViewer if I'm away from home.
Did you also have a look at the log file? Any suggestion on how I can try to get more informations on what's going on? I'll try to run KStars with gdb tonight, let's hope it will give me a more descriptive output of the hard crash.
Anyway thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it!
I have similar gear as you (have a ASI1600MM-Pro not a GT and have a different focuser), I might see if I can try this. I also run Manjaro ARM rather than Astroberry/StellerMate or Ubuntu based, though I could try to burn an image something default. I can also try to run a test from my x86_64 server. I'll let you know how this goes.
Wow, thank you very much Will! It's hard to replicate, some nights it happens even 3-4 times, some others, like yesterday, it didn't happen at all. I tried using local astrometry as solver, but it failed several time to solve and didn't perform as well as the internal solver, I'm not sure why.
Odd that you're getting different results with local astrometry vs. internal solver, since to the best of my knowledge, internal solver just took astrometry.net, and turned it into a library. Although the speed does depend on which source extraction method you use. Using "Internal SEP" for the extraction method, and "local astrometry" for the solver, gives great, reliable performance for me. Solves are always under 2 seconds, and often under 1 second. This is on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. Maybe you have too many index files downloaded and installed. My understanding is having too many index files can slow it down (but not cause it to be less reliable).
You can also try ASTAP. I like ASTAP, and use it often. I really like the simplicity of index files with ASTAP. It doesn't use the astrometry index files, it has its own set. But you only have to download a single index file that covers everything, not 10 separate files like you do for astrometry.net (and internal solver).
Hey Kevin, I actually managed to get the local astrometry solver to work. Since then, at least until now, I haven't experienced any crash whatsoever, so most likely there's an issue with the internal solver.
Will update this post in case I have some update in the future.
Thanks everybody for your help!
I like the idea of the internal solver, especially for other platforms (Windows and Mac) where it's a lot more difficult to install astrometry.net locally. I'm sure they'll get it worked out. But in the meantime, local astrometry.net works just fine, and is plenty fast (for me).
I agree, it's blazing fast! I don't know why the first night it had some issues with solving, but after that it worked like a charm even if I didn't make any change.
I learned that I shouldn't be questioning myself that much when it goes like that and accept the fact that "it just works" eheh!