Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.5 on 2018-11-14. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20755

Dear Rob!

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! You have given valuable insight into the reasoning that is behind the different projects. I have been using Linux for quite a while but still consider myself a newbie. At the end of the day I can only humbly look at the great job you guys are doing with programming and creating Ekos and all its components. Even using all that is fascinating. Your projects really make a difference!

So my comment was not meant as criticism but rather a curious question. Unfortunately, I can’t help in programming but please count me in in case you need people for testing.

Best wishes
Stephan
The following user(s) said Thank You: El Corazon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20756

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 397
Thanks Stephan,

Yes, I treated it as a curious question. I think its important to write out some of the reasoning behind all this and explanations of why you would want to use one or another for the beginner. Hopefully what I wrote made sense and maybe we can possibly take some of what I wrote, with maybe a little editing, and make it into an FAQ or a guide on other parts of the site. I know Radek is planning to do some of that work.

Thanks,

Rob

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20771

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So I did get a chance to run my script on an ubuntu-mate system on my 64 bit ODroid C2. There were a few issues, so I copied and pasted the script and edited to work on the 64 bit system. One issue was that RealVNC did not work on the 64 bit system. I couldn't find a way to get it to work well, so I replaced it with x11vnc. Another issue was that the sudo calls to cat to save files were getting permissions errors, so I modified the calls and they all work now. Some packages that were installed on the pi by default were not installed on the Odroid, so I had to add them. The Firefox issue with the Raspberry Pi was not a problem on the ODroid so I deleted that fix. And finally GSC did not compile properly. I fixed all of these issues except for gsc.

So there is now a script for installing everything on a 64 bit ubuntu mate now present in the same git repo.

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

There still might be some issues, but it seems to be mostly working smoothly!

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: anderslange, feilimb

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20783

Many thanks Rob for all your work on this. I just recently had a to start from scratch on a RPi3 and was using James' tutorial again to get back up and running. I may give your script a go just to test it out from a fresh Ubuntu Mate install.
Can you tell me if the script installs the IndiServer web interface / web server tool for choosing which drivers to start via the web?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rlancaste

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20784

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, that is the last section of the script. It installs the web interface, starts it up, and provides a link to it on the desktop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: feilimb

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20787

I ran the script this evening on my Raspberry Pi 3 and it went flawlessly. Thanks again for putting this together, it is really very useful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rlancaste

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20788

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Awesome. Glad to hear it. I think there are still a couple of issues though. Last night when I ran it on the odroid, I was doing testing and I realized that my samba shares were working but the shared folders were not visible on the connecting computer. I think I just need to change smb.conf. I plan to check that out tonight and see what needs to be done. It's a fairly minor issue, until you try to share a folder, and it seems to work . . . but doesn't. But yeah, for raspberry pi 3, I think its all working other than that.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20792

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Turns out it was an issue only on the 64 bit system. So something on the Odroid is preventing samba from working with caja-share correctly. The Raspberry Pi Samba setup is correct.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 1 month ago #20794

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks to Jasem's help, GSC is now compiling on arm64 so the script can now set that up properly for the 64 bit script. And I think I finally fixed the samba issue for the 64 bit system as well. So the 64 bit script should be ready to test on other systems. It now works on the odroid perfectly. I will be able to try a rock64 when mine finally arrives. I ordered it about a week ago and I heard it can take awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HelgeMK

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21062

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Based on some issues that somebody was having on a different setup, I realized that it would be good to add to the script the ability to give the SBC a static IP in the event that the user is out in the observing field and all they have is their laptop and the pi. This way you can direct connect the ethernet cable for faster downloads and you can also direct connect in an emergency if for some reason there is an issue in the SBC's wifi settings. This functionality has saved me on numerous occasions so it should really be a part of the script. So I added a few lines for that.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21063

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Oops, I should note that I have only changed the Raspberry PI version of the script so far for the Static IP. I need to do some tests yet on my ODroid for the 64 bit version.

Last Edit: by rlancaste.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21065

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Got it! I made it work in the 64 bit system as well. But I had to do it a different way since the cmdline.txt file is not available on other systems.

Time to create page: 0.711 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica