INDI Library v1.8.1 Released (09 Sep 2019)

Monthly maintenance release INDI v1.8.1

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23360
I just made some updates to the setup script for both the Raspberry Pi and the 64 bit SBCs. I added a software updater script that will update the system to the latest software in the Utilities folder. I also updated the conkyrc file so that ethernet information is displayed in addition to the wifi information that was already there.
The following user(s) said Thank You starhopper, Casaro68, supernov, feilimb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23363
Just added some pretty icons for the utility scripts

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You Casaro68, supernov, feilimb

1 year 6 months ago 1 year 6 months ago by supernov.
supernov
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23374
Ha, awesome! Going to do a reinstall right away. :)

1 year 6 months ago
feilimb
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23425
Thanks for all the continued work on this!
Just a quick question - if I wish to install this from scratch again on my Raspberry Pi 3, but take a backup first of my Ekos Configuration and local astrometry files (to eg. USB stick) do you know whether this is easy to do? *Maybe* it be worth considering a script inside the Utilities folder for this purpose also?

1 year 6 months ago 1 year 6 months ago by wvreeven.
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23426
Yes this is really easy. Simply make backups of these files and folders:

~/.config/kstarsrc
~/.local/share/kstars
~/.indi

EDIT: depending on the additional data installed in KStars (images or the USNO catalog) that second directory may contain several Gb of data.

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R
The following user(s) said Thank You feilimb

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23448
This is not a bad idea.

By the way, a few minutes ago I added a check to any file updating script so that it can check to see if any updates are currently in progress before continuing. I added this because I was getting really annoyed at my raspberry pi when I tried to run my scripts and it was encountering a dpkg lock which meant that system updates could not happen due to another update process currently running. The problem was that the script continued when it should probably stop until the other process is done. So I told it to stop the script with a warning message.

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23451
I added the backup and restore script.

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23452
Please let me know if there is anything else that should be backed up/restored or if there are any problems with the script. Thanks!

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #23453
Here is what utilities looks like now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You supernov, TheRealEleven

1 year 6 months ago
TheRealEleven
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #24128
I've used the script about a million times with Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry Pi3 while trying to track down why my bluetooth dongle doesn't work correctly. The script is great, I can't say enough good things about it!

I used it again last night on the RPI3 but this time with Lubuntu. It seems that conky is not starting on it's own. When starting manually, conky give syntax errors but it does start. Apparently there is a new conky config file format. I've found a script that converts the config file to the new format but haven't tried it yet. Are there any other suggestions?

1 year 6 months ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #24132
I am not an expert on conky by any means. I found a tutorial on how to set it up and configure it online and I then incorporated it into the script because I liked it. Currently I'm not having problems with it, but maybe it just happened recently. I do know that there is a new format for the configuration file, but the older format was working for me still. If you have any suggestions on how I should update it let me know.

1 year 6 months ago
TheRealEleven
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script #24137

rlancaste wrote: I am not an expert on conky by any means. I found a tutorial on how to set it up and configure it online and I then incorporated it into the script because I liked it. Currently I'm not having problems with it, but maybe it just happened recently. I do know that there is a new format for the configuration file, but the older format was working for me still. If you have any suggestions on how I should update it let me know.

I'm pretty sure it's an Lubuntu thing. I can't get it to load at boot at all. The format of the config file doesn't really seem to make a difference. Via command line, it does whine a little bit when loading but it starts just fine. I don't think the new format has anything to do with it not auto-starting in Lubuntu.

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds