INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Esatto not connecting on Mac, wrong driver loaded?

• Thank you received: 2

I have the same problem with a different focuser on Mac.
It will connect with TheSky with the same serial driver but not with Ekos.

Probably there’s something wrong with the Mac port of Ekos?
indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wheels...i-won-t-connect.html

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Oliver.
2 years 4 months ago #77433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
It starts to look that way indeed. A pity, as one of the benefits of Macs is that driver issues are almost never an issue.
2 years 4 months ago #77434

• Thank you received: 155
Here's what I used with the MacOSX version of INDI Web Manager:
But this version of the driver is not the same as the version built into the MacOSX version off KStars.  They are different.  The INDI Web Manger version (which comes out as Sesto2) does not have as many controls, and no backlash compensation.  The Sesto2 and Esatto drivers in the built-in version of KStars OSX do have those features.

2 years 4 months ago #77443
Attachments:

Just tried the Webmanager route, but same results. As you say, the INDI drivers for the web manager are not necessarily the same as the ones baked into KStars for MacOS. But I have now INDI Webmanager app 1.6 installed, and the drivers are pretty much the same. Unfortunately also the same issue....
Perhaps you have an earlier version of INDI Webmanager app? If so, it could mean that the error has been introduced during an update of one of the drivers.
2 years 4 months ago #77456

• Thank you received: 809
I just saw this in the other thread Peter created.  I will rebuild that program soon.  Sorry I fell behind in builds of that.  I am near 100% certain that the INDI drivers in that program are definitely behind the KStars build, since I don't remember rebuilding that recently.

Sorry about that
The following user(s) said Thank You: W J Drijfhout
2 years 4 months ago #77460

• Thank you received: 809
But as to the questions about the driver.  Please note that there is definitely a difference between the INDI driver and the USB-Serial driver.  For many Focusers and a number of mounts that use serial communications, the correct USB-Serial driver must be installed on your Mac in addition to the INDI drivers that are already included with KStars or the Web Manager.  It is of course possible that there could also be an issue with the driver itself, but 9 times out of 10, it is usually that the person doesn't have the correct USB-Serial driver installed.  I am not an expert on the eSatto driver, nor have I used that device, so I don't know much more about that, but I can always rebuild KStars for Mac or INDI Web Manager for Mac if somebody makes a fix to the driver to correct an issue.

Yes, driver issues are almost never a problem on Macs, but in my experience, the USB-serial devices/adapters don't usually have drivers installed on Mac and you need to find and download the right one.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: W J Drijfhout
2 years 4 months ago #77461

• Thank you received: 2
I would agree, however I‘m running into the same problems with my Baader Steeldrive II.
In EKOS the focuser get’s a timeout, in TheSky X all is working fine on the same machine with the same serial driver.
indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wheels...i-won-t-connect.html
2 years 4 months ago #77475

Thank you Rob, and good to understand how the INDI driver and the USB-serial driver are two independent issues.

USB-serial driver:
Based on Peter's other post, I have installed the CP210x driver for MacOS, version 6.0.2. In Kstars I can now choose between the Apple driver (cu.usbserial-2130) or the Silicon Labs driver (cu.SLAB_USBtoUART). Neither work and both give the same error message of not being able to retrieve the serial number from the focuser. Based on your comment that in most cases the issue lies with the USB-serial driver, perhaps there's something I've done wrong with installing it. But it is recognised in KStars, so I would not know what else to check.

INDI driver:
Neither the driver packaged with the Webmanager app version 1.6 nor the driver packaged with KStars 3.5.5 can make the connection. Peter was saying that for him the Webmanager app worked, but he noticed that the INDI driver was different than what was packaged with KStars. If Peter has an earlier Webmanager app installed than 1.6, we could look at the differences between the INDI driver packaged with that version (which works) and the current and improved INDI driver (which does not work). Perhaps that might give us a clue as to what is going on?
2 years 4 months ago #77476

The problem just went a whole lot bigger (I guess this was to be expected...). I tried the Sesto Senso 2, and it has the same problem. No connection, whatever combination of serial driver and baud-rate I choose. Constantly the same error of not finding the serial number of the focuser.
With two scopes having a Sesto Senso 2, and one having an Esatto, this essentially means that I can not use my Mac mini, that was specifically bought for astro, to run any of them....
Hopefully we can find what's the issue here, and find a fix for it. Any suggestions welcome.
2 years 4 months ago #77477

• Thank you received: 69
Just something to bear in mind, that I have found with my SestoSenso2 and the INDI driver (on Astroberry).

If I start INDI, and the following are all true:
  • I have devices set to automatically connect at startup
  • I have the devices set to auto-detect the serial port at startup
Then, if I have had a problem with the SestoSenso2 connecting, and I go to disconnect and stop INDI in Ekos I often find that the indi_sestosenso2 driver is actually still running, and hasn't stopped. I either have to manually kill that process or reboot Astroberry before I can attempt to re-connect the sestosenso2 driver.

Because of this issue, I have now disabled any serial port auto-scanning in INDI, and have all my serial devices to manually connect to a specific serial port in the /dev/serial/by-id/ folder.
2 years 4 months ago #77479

You are right, I've experienced that behaviour as well. That's why in all my testing now, I do full reboot after each attempt/change in setup. But unfortunately the problem is quite persistent...
2 years 4 months ago #77480

One other thing I noticed. The now installed USB-serial driver is referred to as CP210x driver. The apple driver is usbserial-2120 (and if using the other USB-port: usbserial-2220). None of these labels mean much to me, but would one need a CP21xx driver or so?
2 years 4 months ago #77481

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds