INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Filter name in FITS header... intermittently

• Thank you received: 6
Willem, I noticed this issue first with Flats and 3.5.7. I updated to 3.5.8 three days ago, just before a rare clear night two nights ago. I noticed the issue when PixInsight's WBPP script reported a number of Flat exposures fell into a "No Filter" category. This time a few light frames were effected too. Filenames properly show filter used but FITS header is missing the Filter keyword. Last time I think only Flats were involved.

I'm hoping for a resolution as individually adding the proper keyword and value to each file is time consuming. I haven't the skills/experience to write a script to automate the process.
1 year 11 months ago #81870

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
David, yes, what you describe is exactly the same behaviour as what I experience as well. It looks like it is an error introduced in 3.5.7 then. And I use ZWO filterwheel, run KStars on a MacMini (Mojave) and store files locally. Since our setup is quite different, it seems unlikely that this is driver or OS related. Hopefully this will be picked up and corrected in future updates. I will try to see if I can post this as a bug.
In the meantime I have been doing some searching on the PI forum and found a nice workaround. Here in this thread they show other examples of acquisition software not writing FILTER keywords to the FITS header. Towards the end of the thread, someone has created a script to do this on whole batches of files at once. I have just installed that script and it works very well. My WBPP is currently crunching a whole bunch of files, many of which have been edited using this script. Not ideal, but a workable workaround.
Oh, and the script works so familiar, that it might open up possibilities to use FITS-header info even more extensively. For your convenience, attached is the script file.Let us know if this works for you too.

Willem Jan.

File Attachment:

File Name: BatchFITSK...t.js.zip
File Size:10 KB
1 year 11 months ago #81880
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 18
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wim van Berlo
1 year 11 months ago #81881

• Thank you received: 16
I saw the same in my images. Some have a Filter i Fits Header, others don't. This is with a new install, Kstars v 3.6.0 on a Raspberry Pi 4, ZWO ASI294MM with ASI mini filter wheel. It happens for Lights and Flats
Also, I noticed that the exposure time for Lights and Darks appears differently in the FITS header. A 300 s exposure time can be either
EXPTIME 300.
or
EXPTIME 3.000000E+02
Not quite consistent

I hope these issues get resolved

/Wim
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
1 year 7 months ago #85851

• Thank you received: 155
Using Mac OSX KStars 3.6.1 and no filter field in the FITS header either.
1 year 6 months ago #85889

Fyi. I installed astroberry (downloaded last week) on a reformatted 64 GB SD card and have tested my setup with that. This version of astroberry runs Kstars 3.5.5, which is much more stable. I only collected very few exposures, but they had FILTER in the Fits header. As soon as I get clear skies I will run a proper sequence and confirm if the older Kstars version writes the filter keyword. If no clear skies, I will collect flats during the weekend. Either way, by sunday I should have more answers.

Cheers,

Wim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Know Your Building
1 year 6 months ago #85970

I had a chance to do some imaging tonight with the fresh install of Astroberry (Kstars 3.5.5). All of the images that I've checked had the FILTER keyword in the Fits Header. This is the same hardware as before (Raspberry Pi 4 with 64 GB SD card, same gear attached). For me at least, the problem only appeared after reinstalling the OS and upgrading to Kstars 3.6.0. When I find the time, I will install Astroberry on a spare SD card and update the version of Kstars on it from 3.5.5 to 3.6.0. Perhaps I will find time this weekend.
Cheers,

Wim
1 year 6 months ago #85986

• Thank you received: 155
Last night I took 60 images. When I loaded them into Pixinsight only the first three had the filter name in the FITS header. I have no idea why it stopped recording it after the 3rd image.
1 year 6 months ago #86083

I finally got around testing 3.6.0 in Astroberry.
Here's my configuration:
Raspberry Pi 4 with Astroberry 2.0.4, upgraded to Kstars 3.6.0 (sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade)
Camera: ASI CCD (ASI294MM Pro)
Guide camera: ASI CCD (ASI290MM mini)
Mount EQMOD Mount (SW AZ-EQ6)
Focuser: Pegasus Focuscube
Filter Wheel: ASI EFW (ASI mini filter wheel with 5 positions)
Auxiliary: Astrometry

I took a quick daytime sequence of 10 10s Luminance images, 10 10s Red images and 10 10s Green images, all Lights at bin 2x2, 30 exposures in total.

From the FITS header in Kstars Fits Viewer it seems that all files have the FILTER keyword.

Edit: after ftp from the Raspberry Pi to my stationary computer I can see that all files are exactly the same size, and the few files I have opened in PixInsight all have the FILTER keyword.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
1 year 6 months ago #86237

• Thank you received: 28
Over the last two weeks I've run into this issue of the filter not being written to the FITS header. Since I've had no changes to my environment I had assumed I may have inadvertently flipped a software switch somewhere along the way but I've no idea what that might have been. I've just finished importing a few hundred images I've taken with EKOS (3.6.0 Stable running on MacOS 12.6 (Monterey)) and there is no filter record in the FITS header. 60+ other records but no filter information. This somewhat complicates PixInsight WBPP but thankfully there are easy workarounds short of editing the FITS header. This is happening for all my Light and Flat frames of all kinds of exposure lengths. I've been using EKOS/KStars for over a year and haven't run into this before.

I see this thread goes back a few months and predates the current release. Also the bug posting on GitHub hasn't seemed to advance but I'll post there as well.
1 year 6 months ago #86627

• Thank you received: 0
I have exactly the same issue. It only started for me with the 3.6.0 update but I also updated some INDI drivers around the same time. I'm also using a ZWO EFW 7 filter wheel.

Have you found a work around for this issue yet? It's a bit of a pain updating the FITS header one image at a time.
1 year 5 months ago #86985

The problem went away when I installed astroberry on a clean micro-sd. The original install had kstars 3.5.7 or 3.5.8, but I could update to 3.6.0. No problems whatsoever.
1 year 5 months ago #86989

Time to create page: 0.713 seconds