INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars 3.6.4 problem with DeepSkyDad AF3 driver

• Thank you received: 3
Hello,

I recently updated to 3.6.4 and have noticed a glitch. I use a DeepSkyDad AF3 focuser. The "Max Movement" section in the Main Control tab seems to be set to 1000 and cannot be changed. The input box to the right where you would normally enter a value (and then hit "Set") doesn't seem to work. It shows a number with blank spaces in front of it - if you delete that number (and the blank spaces) and then hit Set nothing happens.

This is a big problem b/c when it's refocusing if it tries to do a movement more than 1000 steps it just errors, and then the Scheduler just gets stuck. I lost about 3 hrs of clear skies last night when this happened.

I used to be on 3.5.4 so I don't know in which version this may have crept in but hopefully this should be an easy fix? (Or am I doing something really stupid?)

Thanks!

Vin
11 months 1 week ago #92255

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The INDI hasn't changed in a very long time. Enable focus logging and attach the logs. I see the max movement / max position is actually read directly from the focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vin
11 months 1 week ago #92270

Thanks Jasem. I'll keep a focus log next clear night. In the meantime, I contacted Pavel at DSD and have forwarded to you via email some insights he shared which hopefully might be useful in tweaking things. Cheers!
11 months 1 week ago #92275

A reply just for future reference for anyone else who encounters this.

The method Pavel suggested works. Basically it involves using the DSD driver (Windows) to connect directly to the focuser and change the max movement setting there. That is then remembered, and when you log in via EKOS the updated max movement is there.

A bit fiddly but its a workaround.

Pavel from DSD was saying that in the original code, max movement was propagated to the motor when changed in KStars, but in later commits it was moved into the INDI layer (I'm not a coder so I don't really understand the subtlety there). So the problem seems to be that SMXM (max movement) is not being sent to the device when it is changed in KStars (which is what I experienced).

I'm just sharing this in case people with better coding skills than me (who has none!) might know how to change things!
11 months 6 days ago #92307

Time to create page: 0.635 seconds