INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Sharpsky Pro Focuser Driver

• Thank you received: 19
From what I can see there is no driver for the Sharpsky Pro focuser. I've tried to contact the manufacturer but have had no recent responses from him. In the past he mentioned that there had been no real need for creating the INDI driver so he hadn't gone to the effort.

Anyway, I've got one of these and I'd really like it to work under INDI. It works under ASCOM of course. In case it followed the same protocols as the Moonlite and Robofocuser I tried those, but had no luck.

I'm willing to learn whatever is required to get it done. Can anyone give me the path/process required to do this? How do I reverse engineer what it is doing under ASCOM? Once I have that info, what's the best way forward from there - copy and existing focuser driver and modify it for the Sharpsky? Any tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You might want to start with some USB Serial monitor/sniffer and watch the traffic as you issue command and receive response. I believe it was done before by other users here (google the forum). Once you have the protocol, the rest is easy. You can customize moonlite focuser driver and change it to fit the protocol you found.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14972

• Thank you received: 14
Hi,

I know, to email, the original designer of the Sharpsky focuser - Dave Trewren... I'll drop him an email to see if he can get interested...

Phil
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 3 weeks ago #14985

That's what I've tried - maybe you'll have better luck.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15003

Ok, if we get nowhere with Dave, I'll start on this and see what I can discover.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15004

I'll let you know what happens... or maybe Dave will join the forum.... let's see....

Phil
7 years 3 weeks ago #15010

• Thank you received: 375
It looks like Sharpsky focuser is MoonLite/Robo compatible (as described in Other features on the focuser site )
This means that you can either:
1) use MoonLite/Robo control box and MoonLite focuser driver
2) skip any control box and use any stepper motor controller (see this post ) or use Astroberry PiFace driver (see this post )

Option #2 will let you just control the stepper motor and will not provide all other focuser capabilities (i.e. temperature compensation etc.). Depending on level of compatibility option #1 might provide you with support for all capabilities.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15012

• Thank you received: 0
I'd be interested as well. I asked Dave some time ago as well.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15013

I got an email back from Dave.... I have asked him, if he has some time as he does have a day job, to join the forum to potentially join in the discussions....

Phil
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Phil Shepherd.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15016

In reply to Kaczorek: I've tried both of these drivers (for #1). I haven't tried #2 yet.
I'd like to get temperature compensation as well.
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Chris Ryan.
7 years 3 weeks ago #15017

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Phil

Did David get back to you on this? I did ask him a while ago. I have the same focuser.
7 years 1 week ago #15293

Hi,

The last email I had from Dave said he was going to look at the Indi project if I could give him various links (which I did) - the final sentence was, "it's sad, but it just boils down to time... or the lack of it"

It sounds like he would like to get involved... but can't afford the time...

Phil
7 years 1 week ago #15295

Time to create page: 0.802 seconds