INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems connecting to ZWO efw (Rock64)

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

recently I installed INDI on a Rock64 single board computer. I can control my mount (AZ EQ6, EQMOD mount) and camera (ZWO ASI 174MM-Cool) without problems. But I can't get the ZWO filter wheel to work.
The setup:
INDI on Rock64 with ZWO camera and ZWO filter wheel connected (both show up in the usb list)
Ekos/Kstars on a windows laptop connecting to the Rock via PuTTy (SSH).
Starting indiserver through the web manager or directly (both methods give the same result).

It seems to start up in the server. But Ekos/Kstars can't connect to it. On start up, the connection indicator (red, yellow, green) stays yellow and is unresponsive.
I've tried changing the asi.rules file, but no luck. I've tried with and without powered usb hub without success. I tried with the wheel connected to the camera. Neither usb3 nor usb2 work.
The wheel works fine when I switch to a Raspberry pi with the same setup (Ubuntu Mate, INDI full, Ekos/Kstars bleeding)
I've tried everything in this thread without success:

indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wheels...-wheel.html?start=60

This is displayed on the ssh screen when I start the indi server (with only the efw attached)

rock64@rock64:~$ indiserver -v indi_asi_wheel
2017-11-02T22:51:03: startup: indiserver -v indi_asi_wheel
2017-11-02T22:51:03: Driver indi_asi_wheel: pid=2460 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-11-02T22:51:03: listening to port 7624 on fd 4

The Ekos log is attached

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-53-49.zip
File Size:2 KB

Any help would be appreciated.
6 years 4 months ago #20625
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You're using a slightly older KStars release. please update to the latest one since it can also log any output from drivers as well.Now this won't solve your issue per say but it's better to use the latest release. And you can't connect from Ekos to the Filter wheel directly, there must be at least a CCD. So put "CCD Simulator" in the CCD and select ASI EFW from the filter wheel drop down menu.
6 years 4 months ago #20629

Thanks. I will download the newest. But as you mentioned, that won't solve the problem. I tested with mount and ccd+efw attached, just ccd + efw and just efw. All the same result. I even tried the PixInsight indi client (mount + ccd + efw). That seemed to connect to the efw (green indicator), but was otherwise also unresponsive. And the fw didn't show in the camera control panel, only in the indi device manager.
My guess is that there's some setting in the Rock that I've overlooked. But it behaves very much like a raspberry pi. I will check on the zwo user forum as well, and try to download the sdk.
Initially, I suspected power to the efw to be the problem, but even a powered usb hub didn't help (the same hub I power my raspberry pi from).
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
6 years 4 months ago #20638

• Thank you received: 24
Out of curiosity, have you tried, as a test if the EFW would connect if you start the server as a root user.

I used to have to start indiserver this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
6 years 4 months ago #20653

Yes, done that too. Thanks for suggesting this, though. Can't do any testing atm, but will continue tomorrow. At least I have a stable setup on a Raspberry pi. But I want it working on the Rock as well. The Rock64 is a lot faster than the Pi, it seems.
6 years 4 months ago #20654

This reminds me of a show-stopper for using Odroid C2 with my setup. For some reason, the USB transfer rate is insanely slow. It takes about 20 seconds to download a full frame from the QSI 583wsg, but on the C2, it would take like 5 minutes! . After that I went to Raspberry PI.

With Raspberry PI 4 not likely arriving before 2019, I've been looking for any potential "killers" but always faced some issue or another.
6 years 4 months ago #20655

New day, new attempt.
Scenario:
newer version of Ekos/Kstars (Win)
Rock64 now runs the newest pre-release.
ZWO ASI174MM-Cool and ZWO EFW connected to usb2 port of the Rock (efw is connected to the camera's usb hub).
This setup should be equivalent to the way I use it on the Raspberry Pi (usb2).
The efw still doesn't connect (connection indicator is yellow in Ekos). Log attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_17-10-58.zip
File Size:3 KB

For the next test, I'll use the CCD simulator as per your suggestion, and the efw on usb2

Cheers,
6 years 4 months ago #20678
Attachments:

If the EFW connects I may start testing too.

My setup on the RPI3 is similar:
- EFW and LiteCrawler connect to ASI1600mm-c
- ASI1600mm-c and Asi174mm connect to usb 3 hub
- USB3 hub, CGEMdx, and USBstick connect to RPI3.

The rock64 interests me for the additional RAM.

The usbstick may need to move to the USB hub on the rock64, as I would see the wifi dongle as well.

Keep us posted please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
6 years 4 months ago #20681

Same result when connecting efw directly to usb2 on Rock and starting CCD simulator with ASI filter wheel.
Log attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_17-25-31.zip

I have no further ideas at the moment. The filter wheel doesn't even connect on usb2.

Btw, I found an error in the ASI EFW_config.xml file (located in /home/rock64/.indi/ )
Here's an excerpt:

<newNumberVector device='ASI EFW' name='FILTER_SLOT'>
<oneNumber name='FILTER_SLOT_VALUE'>
</oneNumber>
</newNumberVector>
<newTextVector device='x
ù´' name='Ùœ'>
</newTextVector>
<newSwitchVector device='ASI EFW' name='USEJOYSTICK'>
<oneSwitch name='ENABLE'>
Off
</oneSwitch>
<oneSwitch name='DISABLE'>
On
</oneSwitch>
</newSwitchVector>

I removed this section and ran the test again; same result.
6 years 4 months ago #20682
Attachments:

Unable to establish remote devices:\n+ Filter Simulator\n+ Focuser Simulator\n+ Telescope Simulator\nPlease ensure remote device name corresponds to actual device name."

Why is this here? The profile should include just CCD Simulator + ASI EFI.
6 years 4 months ago #20684

I am curious. What if you run these commands after rebooting, with this example Ekos setup?

This should kill any running indiserver and devices:
sudo pkill indi

then Start the indiserver from command line:
sudo indiserver -v indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd indi_asi_wheel

Then launch kstars, create your ekos profile to connect to a remote host at IP 127.0.0.1
e.g. image attached

This is how I debugged the EFW before.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Stephen.
6 years 4 months ago #20686
Attachments:

Sorry about that. I started the indiserver with just camera and filter wheel, but I reused an Ekos profile, and didn't clean it properly.
Here's the log file with the settings you proposed: CCD simulator and ASI filter wheel.
Same result, though.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-43-07.zip

It also doesn't matter if I use the ZWO camera's usb hub, or the Rock usb2 port for the filter wheel.
I also tried the configuration in the ZWO filter wheel manual: starting indi server with CCD and filter wheel, but only CCD in the Ekos profile. This will start the CCD with filter wheel. The filter wheel still doesn't connect. Since the status indicator is yellow, I guess that the process hangs somewhere while trying to connect.
Btw, if I in the CCD simulator settings (Options), set the filter wheel as ASI EFW, it still switches back to the simulator filter wheel. Probably because it can't find a connected ASI filter wheel.
6 years 4 months ago #20687
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.646 seconds