INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Crashes and problems with ASI EFW

• Thank you received: 109
If I fire up kstars, go to ekos, attach to my equipment, everything looks fine. I can go to the INDI control panel for the filter wheel and select any filter without problem. As soon as I go to the focus tab and try to focus, all wheel positions focus except position 5 of my 5 position wheel. That position gets the below error
2018-02-02T03:14:57: [ERROR] Error: valid range of filter is from 1 to 5 
2018-02-02T03:14:20: [INFO] Setting current filter to slot 4 
2018-02-02T03:13:10: [INFO] Setting current filter to slot 1 
2018-02-02T03:13:03: [INFO] Setting current filter to slot 2 
2018-02-02T03:12:54: [INFO] Setting current filter to slot 3

Some times when starting up the filter wheel will log the message no fw_id
INFO	1392.545510 sec	: Setting current filter to slot 2
INFO	1392.545646 sec	: SelectFilter(): no fw_id
INFO	1595.249894 sec	: Setting current filter to slot 2
INFO	1595.250029 sec	: SelectFilter(): no fw_id

If I restart the INDI driver, I will get back to the behaviour in the top part of this post.

Build: 2018-01-29T15:59:38Z - kstars-bleeding

I attached the log, but do not see much in it. At the very last line of the log, kstars crashed to the desktop. This was after setting the filter to something other than 5 after receiving the 1 to 5 limit message.

Finally, running kstars from the command line to see what output there is when it crashes, gives this:
$ kstars 
Dispatch command error(-1): No device available and none was created
<setSwitchVector device="" name="" state="Busy" timeout="0" timestamp="2018-02-02T03:33:53"/>
Dispatch command error(-1): No device available and none was created
<setSwitchVector device="" name="" state="Ok" timeout="0" timestamp="2018-02-02T03:33:53"/>
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
6 years 1 month ago #22840
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On a whim, I go into .indi on the local machine in the house, remove everything that was set up locally to the machine (mostly simulator xml, nothing really), then I went into .local/share/kstars and wipe that clean. I have to set some things up again in kstars, but now everything is working like it should. Any idea what might have gotten corrupt or how to better recover next time?
6 years 1 month ago #22841

Are you still the dispatch error? I saw that today with ZWO cameras.. need to investigate its source, but it wasn't causing any problems per se, just annoying.
6 years 1 month ago #22860

After I cleared out the folders, I did not have another problem. I did not get a lot of time at that point as it was getting quite late, but before clearing things, if it helps I did these things in various orders to try to debug:

restart INDI services on the scope computer
restart kstars on the client computer
disconnect/reconnect both manually and automatically in just about every order I could think of
go to focus first before changing filters
change through all the filters a couple times before trying to focus (always worked unless set to filter 5)

I never did see the dispatch error again. If it does happen again, what else can I get for you?
6 years 1 month ago #22863

Turns out the setSwitch issue was coming from GPSD. It's fixed in GIT now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
6 years 1 month ago #22871

OK, so that was basically just a start-up message when it was trying to get location (which it did some seconds later). As you said, I don't think it hurt anything, just annoying, and now should be cleaner. Thanks for that!

Any thoughts on the filter wheel / crash? If no, that is how these go sometimes, may never happen again, but will add to this thread if it does.
6 years 1 month ago #22874

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds