INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module?

• Thank you received: 420
Hi all,

For focusing my WO 71 and my 8" RC I use a Bahtinov mask and focus manually until the spikes created by the mask are evenly distributed. This works reasonably well but is not perfect, mostly due to me being impatient and me choosing too bright or faint stars. So I looked into the Focus module documentation and I wondered if anyone uses this module while focusing manually? I am considering installing a motor focus on at least the 8" RC but I for now I am stuck to manual focusing.

Any experiences you'd care to share?

Thanks, Wouter
5 years 8 months ago #27324

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13
I use a homemade Moonlite protocol Arduino Focus module for both manual and auto focus. It works great. First I use manual focus to get the stars reasonably clear by manually entering steps. Then I click Autofocus. I am using a DLSR and change the image from RAW to medium fine jpeg which seems to speed up the process especially with subframing.
See the Moonlite focuser protocol discussion for more detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
5 years 8 months ago #27338

Thanks very much, that was very useful. I should have formulated my question a bit better because I don't have a motor focus at all so I need my hand to turn the focuser knob and I'd like to know if that works. I guess the answer is yes and I will for sure try it. And this also gives me a lot of knowledge, so thanks once again!
5 years 8 months ago #27339

• Thank you received: 160
In the focusing tab you can simply click Capture once, then select a guide star (by clicking at it in the picture), tick SubFrame and then click Framing. You can then focus manually until you like what you see. Click Stop to end the procedure.

As an alternative, in the CCD tab you could use live view to display the star while you're focusing manually. At least with Canon DSLRs you can zoom into the live view by drawing a box using the mouse.
In both cases the monitor displaying the focus star has to be close to your telescope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge, Wouter van Reeven
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 8 months ago #27341

Also very useful, thanks very much!
5 years 8 months ago #27342

• Thank you received: 10
Will it help the autofocus module to use a Bahtinov mask? I am thinking of getting one for manual focussing for the time being until my focus motor is ready.
Skywatcher Newton 200/1000, Sharpstar 60ED, Canon Lenses
Skywatcherr EQ-6 R, AZ-GTI
StellarMate @ Raspberry Pi 3B+
ASI 183 MC Pro
ASI 290 MC guiding cam on APM 60 ImageMaster
Sesto Senso 2 Focuser + Astromechanics Canon Focuser

5 years 6 months ago #29523

• Thank you received: 301
I plan to propose a change to add lines between the points representing HFR values, with a gradient color to better see what the last moves produced. Just this, combined with stacking 3+ frames, should greatly facilitate manual focusing. I also need to show the stacked result instead of the last image in the viewer.

About the Bahtinov mask, there's no underlying algorithm helping for now in the moduke. If someone wants to try, the idea is to spot the three luminosity spikes in the frame and calculate the quality of their intersection.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29526

• Thank you received: 10
Thanks Eric,

focussing enhancements are highly appreciated. This is my weakest point in my setup right now. looking forward to my Moonlite clone.

cheers

Amin
Skywatcher Newton 200/1000, Sharpstar 60ED, Canon Lenses
Skywatcherr EQ-6 R, AZ-GTI
StellarMate @ Raspberry Pi 3B+
ASI 183 MC Pro
ASI 290 MC guiding cam on APM 60 ImageMaster
Sesto Senso 2 Focuser + Astromechanics Canon Focuser

5 years 6 months ago #29527

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds