INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OnFocus (Solved)

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Wolfi,

I just built the Hansastro focuser, I can connect to a version with Arduino Uno, not to a Nano. The display and motor work on both.
But I can connect to the Uno under Windows with the Moonlite Single Channel Controller, not to the Nano.
Could that be due to the USB chip of the Nano? But you have it working I understand?

I wil test under Linux with Ekos, hope that will work.

Regards,
Albert
5 years 5 months ago #31312

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Hi! Only trìed ekos ... how can i help? Lg wolfi
5 years 5 months ago #31318

Replied by PDB on topic OnFocus and SkySafari

The Nano USB port will do a reset when you open the serial line (to get it in clear state); To start communication it need a ~2 second delay. The Moonlite software under Windows does not wait for that and communication fails ... You can avoid this by soldering a capacitor somewhere between 2 pins but then you need a switch to disable it or you can't download new firmware. It is well described in the MyFocuser project. (Not the MyFocuser2, that is not Moonlite compatible)
(Excellent focuser software and design)

Paul
5 years 5 months ago #31322

Hi as far as the windows protocol is concerned, i have not tried it. there is one issue - i do not use the temperature sensor,and i do not use the display. if you do, there might be a problem because the temperature sensor is connected to A4 in the original sketch, which is also a I2C pin for the display. i changed that to A0, but as said, i do not use the display or the sensor. i can send you my modified sketch. this works fine with EKOS ...
yours
wolfi
5 years 5 months ago #31327

Thanks Wolfi,

The display and sensor work, the sensor is on A3 now, this had been changed in the Arduino sketch by Hansastro.
I will have to test on Ekos, so far I am a Windows user, but I want to escape!
But I need to connect a camera first, or Ekos will not start.

Regards,
Albert
5 years 5 months ago #31328

5 years 5 months ago #31329

hi!
as said before, i did not encounter that problem with Linux...
yours
wolfi
5 years 5 months ago #31330

Correct. The Indi Moonlite (an others) driver retries and that solves the problem (or has a time-out) The original Moonlite driver on Windows does not wait long enough for the communication to start.

Rgrds,

Paul
5 years 5 months ago #31331

My remote observatory is working with Windows7 and ACP now. For the future I don't want to rely on Windows10, so I'm planning to test Linux in my home observatory. Which Linux flavour is best for use with Ekos? So far I only have some experience with Mint 19.

Regards,
Albert
5 years 5 months ago #31332

I created a driver for the OnFocus stepper version. Still need to do some testing. Can onlt test against an Arduino with the firmware loaded, but no motors attached, but seems to be communicating ok with the firmware. Probably ready by next monday (or earlier is things proceed as expected)

Need to set up this complicated GIT stuff (and re-create an acount) to get it in the Indi version? (Other solution welcome as well)

Regards,

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts
5 years 5 months ago #31377

That's great Paul, thanks!
I will try to test it as soon as you put it on GitHub.
The OnFocus controller has proven its use under Windows in my remote observatory, so I prefer to use that.

Regards,
Albert
5 years 5 months ago #31378

Just a few questions:
Are you using "Set Half Travel Position". Not really sure what it is supposed to do, and there are inconsistensies in the ASCOM driver with regards to the maximum position.

I haven't looked at the backlash setting yet. That seems to be implemented in the ASCOM driver, since there is no command for in firmware. Suppose after moving just need to apply the configured #of backlash steps?

Rgrds, Paul
5 years 5 months ago #31381

Time to create page: 1.076 seconds