INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Initialization of Sesto Senso

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks!

What is the right procedure?

Update - purge - install or update - install - purge?

Or any other?

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 10 months ago #39454

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

INDI Control Panel --> SestoSenso --> Options --> Configuration --> Purge
4 years 10 months ago #39456

• Thank you received: 9
For me nothing has changed. I've just calibrated the focuser with the Sesto Senso software under Windows again to be sure and it works fine there. The focuser is it at zero when the tube is pulled into the telescope and it's at around 82.000 when completely extended outwards. There was no reverse setting required. Setting a value between these two extremes in the Sesto Senso App moves the focuser to the desired position as expected.

When used with INDI the focus motor will try to pull the tube into the telescope when I'm at position 0. It doesn't matter which value I enter in the position field. However, the value that INDI reports back looks correct, the focus wheel just turns the wrong way and the tube doesn't move at all. Switching "Reverse Motion" or "Direction" doesn't make a difference and Debug can't be enabled.

I still can do manual focus by setting the sync to 82.000 and then work backwards (82.000 - desired position) but this will of course not work with the Ekos focus module as it doesn't know anything about this workaround.

I've purged the config file several times and restarted the server too.

Stable INDI 1.7.8 on Raspi with Ubuntu Mate 16.4, KStars 3.2.2 on MacOs, Sesto Senso firmware version is 2.1 and the indi_sestosenso_focus driver info says version 1.2 and interface 8.
4 years 10 months ago #39468

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

Same issue... INDI works the same as before...Mine has 108000 travel steps. INDI shows this position at outward position, previously configured with SS application in Windows...

Absolute position shows 108000 and relative position 0. Focus in button activated and presets to 0.

No matter the value I write in absolute position or Focus In or Out button activated, focuser travels inwards and surpasses the final inward travel of the focuser so motor is still running and this is causing problems with the focuser mechanics...

I have repeated the calibration procedure in reverse mode, tried to reverse in INDI driver, change Focus In into Out... Nothing works properly.

Awaiting for next version. This is not useful.

Thanks

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 10 months ago #39473

• Thank you received: 5
I had the same problem. my Sesto Senso focusser reads approximately 89,000 all the way out and it reads 0 when all the way in. It does remember where it was when you power it off.

I am using Kstars and Ekos. What I found was that if you move the focusser using the indi driver to around its middle position say 40,000 and then let Ekos do the focussing it actually works fine. Then simply power off and manually wind the focusser back in at the end of the night. Next time I simply manually wind it to approximatly the same position before powering on and it remembers where it was i.e. around 40,000. Then I tell the Ekos focussing app to auto focus and it works. Hope this makes sense.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by David Thompson.
4 years 10 months ago #39476

• Thank you received: 56
After reading the previous messages I decided to re-check my setup. Two days ago I had it working perfectly, I just connected it up again and I now have exactly the same problems again (as described by other users).
Is there anything I can do to help with the debugging of this issue?
I am happy to help in anyway I can. If I have time today I will download the code and see if I can work out what is going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 10 months ago #39492

Rishi, thanks for offering to help, I sent you the API commands and please let me know if you have any issues with compiling the code.
#Sm;xxxxxxx! Set xxxxxxx as min value

#SM!	Set current position as max

#SM;xxxxxxx!	Set xxxxxxx as max value (xxxxxxx between 0 to 2097152)

#SPxxxx! Set_current_position as xxxx

#SC;HOLD;RUN;ACC;DEC! Shell_set_current_supply in HOLD, RUN, ACC, DEC situations (Value must be from 0 to 24, maximum hold value 10)

#QM! Query max value

#Qm! Query min value

#QT! Qeury temperature	

#QF! Query firmware version

#QN! Read the device name	-> reply	QN;SESTOSENSO!

#QP! Query_position

#FI! Fast_inward

#FO! Fast_outward

#SI! Slow_inward

#SO! Slow_outward

#GTxxxx! Go_to absolute position xxxx

#MA! Motion_abort and hold position

#MF!	Motor free

#PS! param_save save current position for next power ON and currents supply

#PD! param_to_default , and position to zero

Response examples:

#QF! 14.06\r

#QT! -10.34\r

#FI! FIok!\r

#FO! FOok!\r

#SI! SIok!\r

#SO! SOok!\r

#GTxxxx! 100\r 200\r 300\r xxxx\r GTok!\r

#MA! MAok!\r

#MF!	MFok!\r

#QP! 1530\r

#SPxxxx! SPok!\r

#SC;HOLD;RUN;ACC;DEC! SCok!\r

#PS! PSok!\r

#PD! PDok!\r

Before to disconnect the COM port, send the #PC! command in order to save the position on internal memory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rishi Garrod
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
4 years 10 months ago #39494

• Thank you received: 9
Thank you for the commands. I've looked at the code of the driver and at a first glance it doesn't do anything fancy. The driver just passes the position to the device as it is so it should just work. And the result of position query suggests that it indeed works fine, so #QP! is equal to #GT! Just the physical rotation direction of the motor is wrong.

So I think that there is either a reverse switch missing somewhere or the driver needs weird commands (like negative positions) when reversed. Maybe I will attach Wireshark to my Windows/Sesto Senso setup later to see what the driver is doing there.
4 years 10 months ago #39498

My intial look comes up with the same. I am just about to read out the current values using the Sesto software.
After we initialise it via INDI it must ge getting its absolute position set to something very high otherwise the GT command would focus out

Reversing wont help as it look like that function is is not implemented.
bool SestoSenso::ReverseFocuser(bool enable)
{
INDI_UNUSED(enable);
return true;
}

Need to setup a VM to build it I think. Then I can add extra output to work out what it is doing.

Update:

I have setup a USB monitor on the StellarMate. The GT command looks fine. I will run a trace now from startup to shutdown and see if I can see whats going on.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
4 years 10 months ago #39499

Not sure if this is really progress but I now have the same issue using the Sesto Windows application.
I set zero as a reference, tell it to goto 1000 and it focusses in!
Reversing the direction makes no difference.

I have been monitoring the USB traffic on both INDI and the Sesto software and the commands being sent and responses coming back are OK but the direction is wrong. I am starting to suspect the firmware but I need to dig a little deeper before I draw any conclusions.

I think I am going to flash the firmware, calibrate and then try with Indi and record all the USB traffic.

This is odd, I have had it working perfectly with Indi and with the Sesto software but I have also had the "reverse" behaviour in both.
For once I hope it stays cloudy tonight!
4 years 10 months ago #39509

• Thank you received: 1
Dear all,

thank you for advancing this matter!

I have similar issus with my Sesto Senso. Therefore I started a while ago this topic: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/4641-sesto-senso-in-ekos.html#35281. In the meantime I tried a lot, Jasem did some Team-Viewer-Sessions etc. Result was that it still does not work (my one always focusses in and does not stop at the desired position; it can only be stopped manually), but it seems that the INDI-Driver works correct. Because of this Jasem and I get in contact with PrimaLuceLab. So they know about the problem, but (at the moment) they don't have an idea what the reason for the problem is. I hope that they will jump in now and and help to solve this issue.

In addition to the aforementioned, I noticed the following

The INDI-Driver seems to not read out the correct maximum position of the Sesto Senso. In my case it is (depending on the respective calibration with the PrimaLuceLab Software) somewhat about 80.000. The value displayed in the INDI-Control-Panel is somewhat above 2.000.000 (!).

When the Sesto Senso is focussing in / has manually stopped in the INDI-Control-Panel next to firmeware is not displayed "2.1" (which is the actual firmware / the firmware I have installed) but wired characters (something like "x&%!"). After reconnecting the Sesto Senso "2.1" is shown again.

The Sesto Senso works under ASCOM, but after using it in Ekos I have the reinstall the firmware and recalibrate it. Otherwise it will not work under ASCOM.

It seems that for some users the Sesto Senso works with INDI. My impression is that only Sesto Senso users who have firmware 2.1 installed have the described issues. But I am not sure at this point.

I hope this helps. Please tell me if I could do something to assist in this matter (I am not a programmer / software guy).

Best

Nils
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rishi Garrod
4 years 10 months ago #39522

Thanks for the extra info.

The more I look into it the more it looks like an error in the Sesto firmware.
I think I have the error now consistently in the Sesto app so I can now hassle them.

@Jasem. Can you send an email to PrimaLuceLab stating that I am investigating this? They seem to need this before they will give me any info.

Does anyone with 2.1 of the firmware have it working correctly?
When I get back I will also try with a much smaller range. I have a feeling that it could be a problem with signed/unsigned variables. I will try with a max under the 64K and see if that changes anything.

Cheers

Rishi
4 years 10 months ago #39524

Time to create page: 1.200 seconds