INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Initialization of Sesto Senso

• Thank you received: 1
Wow! That sounds really great! Thank for making this happen!

Just some (maybe stupid) questions from a layperson in such matters:

- Do I have to make the calibration each time I use INDI? Or will it be stored (in the Sesto Senso)?
- Is there a warning, when no (I call it) INDI-Calibration is made?
- Because the Sesto Senso firmware is still there, will there be no conflicting problem with it?
- Will the INDI-Calibration work with ASCOM or do I, if I want to use the Sesto Senso with ASCOM, have to do each time a calibration with the PrimaLuceLab software?

Because of this wouldn’t it be easier just to read out the maximum position that has been done with the calibration by using the PrimaLuceLab software. But now while writing this I understand the problem. Not everyone who has a Sesto Senso really use the software for calibration, because it is only for windows. So making a calibration in INDI will allow all users to make a calibration, right?

Thank you again for all that great work!
4 years 10 months ago #39596

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Hi friends,

Test done using Rhisi driver... but I think that should be the author who has to present the results and conclusions.

Good job Rishi!

Thanks!

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 10 months ago #39597

• Thank you received: 56
No need to calibrate each time. Once should be enough. The actual position will be stored in the Sesto Senso. If you move the focus manually you will have to re-calibrate (or put it back in exactly the same position.
No. Check the max value and current position in the Indi control panel to see if it is OK.
There is no conflict between the software.
Calibration in the Sesto Senso should be the same whatever system you are using.

If we can do it easily in Indi (which I think we can) then its a one stop shop. Much easier than having to swap systems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nils Harnischmacher
4 years 10 months ago #39603

Paco has done a test and it also works for him.

Tonight I have clear skies so I will have the chance to do a proper test.

I can provide the driver to anyone who wants it now. I am going to attempt to modify the driver so it has a working calibration but that will take a couple of days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 10 months ago #39604

Thank you very much!

I am very interested in the driver, but I don’t know how to install it. However I will try that. But I will not return home until sunday. So I cannot test it before.
4 years 10 months ago #39606

• Thank you received: 5
I have been following this thread for some time - you guys are amazing.

I have the Sesto Senso and use Astroberry on my RPi3b+

I really appreciate what you are doing to fix this annoying issue. Following this thread is quite a learning experience.

As soon as a new version of the driver is available I would like to try it out. ( Please explain how to load it)
4 years 10 months ago #39607

@Paco. Did you have to do anything apart from changing the file permissions to get the new driver working?
4 years 10 months ago #39673

I was doing some more testing and have discovered that the Sync command (#SPxxxxxxx!) also causes the direction reversal.

I am going to monitor how everything works under ASCOM (that seems to be OK) and reverse engineer it.

Thanks to those of you who have installed my updated version, at least we know now what the issue is but I need to work out a better way to solve it so we can have a fully functioning INDI driver that doesn't require us to continuously go back to the Sesto app to re-calibrate.

On a positive note 2 days ago I used my whole setup including the Sesto and it worked perfectly. Just finished stacking and I have a really nice NGC 6888, very sharp with lots of detail. Not bad for bortle 8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Thompson
4 years 10 months ago #39675

• Thank you received: 2
Hi Rishi,

Nope.

Once installed, nothing worked fine as said until I changed permissions, but I did nothing more... Just reboot RPI..

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 10 months ago #39679

I finally have a stable development environment so I can start making some changes.
My plan is to first release a version of the driver similar to the current one but ensuring it does not reverse and does the basics. I will take out the Sync function and switch off the reverse (is not implemented anyway). This will be the 1.3.
Then I will try to implement calibration in the Indi settings so we don't have to calibrate in the Sesto App. This will be 1.4.
I will put my changes in git so if they are approved the new version(s) should appear in the nightly build.
I will let you know when I have submitted 1.3 for approval.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Thompson, Nils Harnischmacher
4 years 10 months ago #39758

Hi Rishi,

thank you very much! That sounds great!

I will test it when it’s in the nightly!
4 years 10 months ago #39759

Hi All

The change has been merged into the source master so I assume that it will be built during the next nightly build.
The version of the driver is 1.3.

You can set the absolute position and relative position.
Please do not use the Set max position settings as this can still cause the reversal.
The Max Position should show the max that was set in the SestoSenso app, just don't change it in Indi!
Auto focus function should work without any issues. No changes there.

I will now start work on 1.4. Should be easier now I understand how to create and submit the fix. I don't use git often enough so I still need to be very careful. The instructions provided by this community are thankfully very good!

Cheers

Rishi
4 years 10 months ago #39761

Time to create page: 1.278 seconds