INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focuslynx/Focus Boss not connecting to MacOS via USB

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Rob,
thank you for not leaving me stranded on this...
I'll do as soon as I get home from work and will keep you posted
Cheers
Antonio
5 years 1 month ago #34792

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Well for me at least, I have just had quite a bit to do recently. In January I had to completely remake a website at the same time that I had to finish up my students grades at the same time I was trying to rewrite the KStars for Mac build script. So I haven't had a lot of extra time to look into things like this. But now I should be able to get to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antonio Soffici
5 years 1 month ago #34799

5 years 1 month ago #34811

If you need me to do so, on Tuesday I can hook my Mac up to a Focus Boss and see what all my setting are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antonio Soffici
5 years 1 month ago #34815

Hi Rob,
I though the main problem I had was KStars not recognising my USB-RS232 adapter that Optec/Starlight have been so kind to include with the package.
So I went to FTDI website and downloaded the driver.
Now instead of a generic /dev/cu.usbserial, KStars sees /dev/cu.usbserial-A504AP6U, which is the USB device showing in my Mac's System Information.
Happy as a baby I tried to connect... nothing
TTY timeout
Changed the BAUD rate to all the available ones from 9600 to 230400...nothing
VERY frustrating
I can't get my head around this, but my knowledge of this things is like Shakespeare to an ant...
Log attached
Please, help!
Thank you
Antonio

P.S: maybe a Timeviewer session with you controlling my Mac could be in order, so you can see what's happening...

File Attachment:

File Name: log_12-12-30.txt
File Size:40 KB
5 years 1 month ago #34896
Attachments:

And once again the thread got dead...

Is anyone able to help me?
The focuser (or lack thereof) is the only thing keeping me from fully automating my sessions.
A little help would be nice to have

Cheers

Antonio
5 years 1 month ago #35628

I'm sorry, I've just been very busy. I should be able to help you in about a week or so. I have a lot of things on my plate right now, but in about a week, my time should increase quite a bit.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 1 month ago #35646

• Thank you received: 8
Antonio
I'm having the very same problem as you reported.
Have you found the solution for your problem, I'd be glad if you could post it here, if you solved it.
Thomas
4 years 1 month ago #49096

Hi tompfe,
no, not really. I've ended up only using the StellarMate (which, BTW, is an excellent device), and, not receiving much support from the coders here, gave up on the pursuit of perfection.
But if you pester them enough, I reckon they might tackle this issue again.
It's not that they are lazy, it's just that for them is unpaid charity work, so they have to do it in their spare time.
And astronomical vendors aren't making things easy for them, with their idiotic focus on Windows-only support.
Apple is not cooperating either, with their habit of throwing wrenches into low-level USB access with every iteration of their MacOS and their secretive attitude.

Unfortunately, this winter I haven't been able to use my telescopes even once, due to bad conditions (transparency, seeing, clouds, you name it), so I'm kinda out of touch with the whole issue.
Good luck, and please keep me informed of any developments
Cheers
Antonio
4 years 1 month ago #49123

Antonio,

Except for the "pester them" (a human does it's best when he is motivated and not when he is pestered) I agree with you.
The problem we are facing is most probably a problem of the Mac itself and therefore the possibilities for support from this forum is limited.

I'd like to ask another question here.
The FocusLynx can also be connected with an ethernet connection. I tried this but cannot make a successful connection. Can anybody quickly explain me what the "ethernet connection mode" in Indi's Focusser tab means? I start Ekos with the "local mode". Does this not mean that all devices it manages are connected locally and directly to my Mac? But Indi expects an IP and a port for a ethernet connection which seems to me like being a remote connection. I entered my Mac's IP address and Indi's port but the connection didn't succeed. I'm using a normal ethernet cable without a router and hook FocusLynx to the Mac directly.
Shouldn't it be possible to connect FocusLynx with ethernet to a local mode Ekos/Indi service?

A good day to everybody
Thomas
4 years 1 month ago #49351

Sorry I know I said I would help with this soon, but I have been busy trying to fix an issue for some people with non-homebrew installations of python on OS X. They can't plate solve. Also I need to make a DMG for 3.4.0. As soon as all this is done, I promise I will take a look at this.
4 years 1 month ago #49353

I'm still trying to connect the FocusLynx to INDI.
Reading the thread "Serial timeout with Moonlite Focuser" Thread gave me hopes as in this thread a solution was published to successfully connect a FTDI USB/Serial focuser. Its not the same focuser as the FocusLynx but I tired to do the same as published there (installing the older version of the FTDI driver).
Unfortunately no success, still the "TTY timeout" message.
I can confirm that the driver is successfully loaded in macOS, the system report of the extensions confirmed this. The USB/Serial port is visible and available and INDI can also see the port, but cannot establish a connection.
Maybe this helps a bit in isolating the problem.
Greetings,
Thomas
4 years 1 month ago #49396

Time to create page: 0.618 seconds