First time this has happened. I have the AF1 Deep Sky Dad on my Celestron 8SE. Up until last night all was fine.
Last night the Focus Module seem to go out of it's way to 'unfocus'. It went from a fairly tight star to a large out of focus donut. Then, tell me autofocusing was successful.
It did this 2 times. I gave up, focused in manually (using the Focus Module's in/out buttons) on Jupiter's moons. Then imaged with that. Worked, but was odd.
I should have grabbed some screen shots. I laughed, 'cause it was so backwards and so sure of itself.
sterne-jaeger wrote: Looks like your step size is too big. If you reach a focus position with donuts, the focuser takes parts of the donut as a star and creates nonsense.
You know, I half thought that... because I think I saw a tiny bright area in the donut. So I did it again, starting with a nice round bright star. Then it turned it into a large donut and said, Success! I said, EKOS, you're drunk, go home!
But I'll keep an eye on the steps. I've not had a problem in the past, but I did fit a nice large cog to my rig.
So last night it did the same except that it didn't call it "Success" and returned it back to the original position, so that's better.
Something is up, this was working a couple weeks ago. I know you'll see the Algorithm set to Polynomial . That was just a test, the default algorithm performs the same.
I ended up just manually (in the UI) until I saw the star as small as I could get it. I could have got my Bahtinov mask out, but I was lazy and just did this.