INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Odd - My Focuser did the Opposite

• Thank you received: 40
First time this has happened. I have the AF1 Deep Sky Dad on my Celestron 8SE. Up until last night all was fine.

Last night the Focus Module seem to go out of it's way to 'unfocus'. It went from a fairly tight star to a large out of focus donut. Then, tell me autofocusing was successful.

It did this 2 times. I gave up, focused in manually (using the Focus Module's in/out buttons) on Jupiter's moons. Then imaged with that. Worked, but was odd.
I should have grabbed some screen shots. I laughed, 'cause it was so backwards and so sure of itself.
4 years 8 months ago #41269

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Looks like your step size is too big. If you reach a focus position with donuts, the focuser takes parts of the donut as a star and creates nonsense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
4 years 8 months ago #41296

You know, I half thought that... because I think I saw a tiny bright area in the donut. So I did it again, starting with a nice round bright star. Then it turned it into a large donut and said, Success! I said, EKOS, you're drunk, go home! ;)

But I'll keep an eye on the steps. I've not had a problem in the past, but I did fit a nice large cog to my rig.

4 years 8 months ago #41298

So last night it did the same except that it didn't call it "Success" and returned it back to the original position, so that's better.
Something is up, this was working a couple weeks ago. I know you'll see the Algorithm set to Polynomial . That was just a test, the default algorithm performs the same.
I ended up just manually (in the UI) until I saw the star as small as I could get it. I could have got my Bahtinov mask out, but I was lazy and just did this.

4 years 8 months ago #41404

If you turn focus logging on, you should have autofocus directory under ~/.local/share/kstars

It will contain a few FITS image for the process. Can you zip them, upload them somewhere and share a link? I will use them to improve the star detection algorithm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
4 years 8 months ago #41406

Will do!
4 years 8 months ago #41409

Ok, the "Open Log" directory is not working. Click it and nothing. Where is it? I know I found it before, but I can't seem to find it. The trash can says I have about 39mb in it.
4 years 7 months ago #41496

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds