INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

focuser chooses poorly when selecting star

• Thank you received: 559
In my experience, typically the auto-focus function chooses an appropriate star to use as a focus target when "Auto Select Star" is selected (and this must be selected for an automated operation of the focuser). However, I found when shooting M8 that it consistently chooses nebulosity instead of a star, and this results in poor auto-focus results.
Refer to the attached screenshot.

Is there a workaround for this? I suppose other bright areas of nebulosity might be similarly affected.
Hy
4 years 7 months ago #41558
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
using the 'full field' option just under 'Auto Select Star' could help.
It chooses stars in a donuts excluding, if requested, the core.
4 years 7 months ago #41561
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 133
Are you using subfield readout? The window unfortunately covers the respective radio box. I'd think the FOV is too small for the auto mechanism to reliably detect a star...
4 years 7 months ago #41580

• Thank you received: 559
I'm sure sub frame and auto select start were checked, but don't understand why that would be an issue. The way it seems to work is it uses the entire frame to select the star the first time, or after reset is pushed, then it subframes on the selected star. The issue had to do with that first time, when it has access to the entire frame.

What options do you recommend?

Thanks
Hy
4 years 7 months ago #41584

• Thank you received: 133
Was just something that jumped my eye. Probably mixed it up with phd2, that one for has issues when switching target in subframe mode. If it really first takes a full frame and then selects the nebulosity thats indeed unlucky :(
No real recommendation though. The full field focus mentioned by FENRIQUES seems to work quite nice in most cases within a target/sequence, but might need adjustment of the inner zone based on target.
I also sometimes have the issue that it is reporting the exact same value (1.00) for a broad range of focus settings, which makes the AF fail. I have not yet found out what might trigger this. In many/most cases it does work nicely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
4 years 7 months ago #41597

Time to create page: 0.901 seconds