INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Filter Wheel - Darks and Bias

• Thank you received: 40
I'm pretty excited, got my new ZWO 5-Position filter wheel. I'm using a Canon DSLR 600D, so I didn't really get it for the LRGB filters, but instead for the ability to do my Darks and Bias without having to wake up and run outside in the wee hours. :P

So far even in the daylight I'm getting no light bleeding in. I do have it on the opposite side as my open slot and I covered the others (and used black flat paint for the shinny screws inside).

The drive ASI EFW seems to be working. I even had to go to a LYFNLOVE powered 3.0 USB hub (I know, a cheapy, but I already had it) that didn't work on my RPi3, but seems to be finding everything (after a couple of tries) on the RPi4.

Changing the filter names helps a bit, kinda cool feature and of course makes sense. And when I get a narrowband Filter, I'll be able to put that in there.
4 years 5 months ago #44501

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
That's a very creative solution. I now have a ZWO 5-position EAF as well and was thinking to replace it with an 8-position EAF so I can add OIII to the LRGBHa that I already have. Even when I add SII (no plans yet but you never know) one position remains so I could do the same as you and block it to be able to take darks and bias! So, thanks very much for this fantastic idea!!!

Wouter
4 years 5 months ago #44509

It worked very well last night. As another test I just took a 180 sec / 800 ISO in daylight (I did have my white t-shirt over the aperture). Not a peep of light!

I did have a slight issue when I added my Darks/Bias to my imaging sequence... it gave a description in the queue for the filter of "----". I understand that when doing these images, no filter would matter since the scope would normally be covered, so I get it. I got my Darks/Bias without getting out of bed, so I'm very happy!

Maybe next time I will schedule the images with a prefix of "Dark/Bias" and just move them to the correct directories later. This also give me a way to throw in a few darks, like every X light image, do a dark.

I did have the post MFlip issue where the re-alignment seems to get stuck and stops taking pictures. But that's unrelated and I only saw it because I did get up at 2am just to check on my experiment was working.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 5 months ago #44515

Yeah, I was thinking of the 7 position version, for $100 more, I figured I didn't need it yet. But, I know I'm going to wish I did. :dry:

I just ordered the Astronomik H-Alpha 12 nm Filter - 1.25" and will put that in along with a Astronomik CLS Light Pollution Filter, I'm going to wish I had the extra space.

I am going to experiment with the filters next to my "Dark" space and see how that goes. I might even make a disk from leftover flocking material that I used on my old dob.

It has been working well. I'm adding a couple of dark frames after a bunch of lights. I'm calling them all "Lights", but changing the filter. It puts them in the Light directory, but in a sub-directory named what the filter is named. I also give the Prefix "Dark or Bias"... so it works. This keeps guiding going so when the Lights start back up, I haven't lost position (guiding is normally halted when you do Dark/Bias images).
4 years 5 months ago #44560

Time to create page: 1.238 seconds