INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 0

Jon, you were right - the binary sits in usr/local/bin... I have started INDI as you recommended here is what I got, but even if I try starting EKOS the driver is not in the list:

stellarmate@stellarmate:~ $ indiserver -vvv indi_wmh_focuser
2020-10-08T13:50:34: startup: indiserver -vvv indi_wmh_focuser
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: pid=1576 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2020-10-08T13:50:34: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: sending msg copy 1 nq 1:
<getProperties version='1.7'/>

2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: read defSwitchVector Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser CONNECTION Idle rw
CONNECT='Off'
DISCONNECT='On'
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: read defTextVector Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser DRIVER_INFO Idle ro
DRIVER_NAME='Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser'
DRIVER_EXEC='indi_wmh_focuser'
DRIVER_VERSION='1.0'
DRIVER_INTERFACE='8'
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: read defSwitchVector Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser DEBUG Idle rw
ENABLE='Off'
DISABLE='On'
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: read defNumberVector Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser POLLING_PERIOD Idle rw
PERIOD_MS='1000'
2020-10-08T13:50:34: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: read defSwitchVector Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser CONFIG_PROCESS Idle rw
CONFIG_LOAD='Off'
CONFIG_SAVE='Off'
CONFIG_DEFAULT='Off'
CONFIG_PURGE='Off'
3 years 5 months ago #61242

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
The good news on that test is that indiserver is finding the driver and it seems to be loading properly. I don't use Ekos anymore, but I'll fire it up and see if I can remember what you have to do to load an "unknown driver." I seem to remember there was a process.

I no longer have my voltage alerts on the Pi4 since I separated the power for the HAT and the Pi board. Another thing to look out for, since you mentioned USB, Certain powered USB3 hubs cause some issues with WiFi connectivity when plugged into the USB3 port. This seems to be intermittent, so it may be limited to my setup. I switched USB hubs and the problem seemed to pass, but I am still not sure my WiFi performance is what it once was.

I'll report back on the Ekos setup.
3 years 5 months ago #61270

Yeah...there is a Custom Driver tab in Ekos. You have the [+] icon for adding profiles, next right is the [pencil] for editing profiles, then [-] for deleting profiles and THEN, [[some odd square thing] which invokes the Custom Driver Setup.

In my version of KStars/Ekos, the Waveshare Motor HAT Focuser is already there, but that may just be due to my installing it some time ago. I've slept since then. Anyway, putting in a new driver is fairly logical.

3 years 5 months ago #61272
Attachments:

Jon, many thanks! Adding custom driver didn't work, but you gave me idea to copy driver from usr/local/bin to usr/bin and it appeared in the list and WORKED! Super thanks for your help! Now off to get a motor and tuning the setup :)
3 years 5 months ago #61293

• Thank you received: 226
Thank you for your work. I have been inspired to upgrade my motor controller board from the Adafruit HAT to this new one from Waveshare.
Question: Kaczorek pointed out that is can "remember focuser position between runs". Does this mean it stores stepper position on the board? Will it therefore know the position in the focus module when started, or when recovering from a crash?
I have been frustrated by restarting after the occasional crash and the focuser position being reset to zero. Requiring me to intervene to give it room to work with.
3 years 5 months ago #61313

• Thank you received: 182
I am using MyFocuserPro and that stores the stepper position in the configuration on my Pi4. It always starts out at the last position the focuser was in. Or I can use a Preset and then move to the appropriates starting position, if I prefer.
3 years 5 months ago #61314

The indi_wmh_focuser driver stores the absolute position between 0 and the total number of motor/gear positions for your particular setup. The total number being a variable you set in the INDI control panel and is thereby saved in the configuration. If the client dies, the number remains valid in driver memory until the original client (reactivated,) or another some other client, manipulates the focuser once again. If the indiserver or driver dies, the absolute position data is lost.

It may be that storing the configuration prior to a crash or prior to a disconnect would also save the absolute position data, but I never do this. I generally startup the scope with the focuser at 0, then use a preset to go to my initial setting.
3 years 5 months ago #61333

Thank you for bringing this new controller board to our attention and for all your efforts in creating the driver for it. I must say, this controller is far superior in every way to the adafruit motor hat. My motor can now run smoother, quicker and quieter with much greater torque.
I haven't had an opportunity to use it in the field yet, but I expect it will perform much more reliably.
3 years 5 months ago #61978

Great thread ... I have found the Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT to buy (in the UK) - but how do I decide which stepper motor is appropriate? Is there any calculations or is a stepper motor a stepper motor ?

Appreciate any model / parts numbers to look up for the motor side.

Also How are people attaching the motor to the scope / focus knob itself ?

Many thanks
3 years 5 months ago #62203

This would be good point of reference regarding the stepper motor choice, etc: sourceforge.net/projects/arduinoascomfocuserpro2diy/
3 years 5 months ago #62205

• Thank you received: 25

Good question. I'm building mine as we speak. The electronics is the easy part. You need to refer to the attached document page 22 to know which motor suitable for your scope and start putting the plan together.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

3 years 5 months ago #62207
Attachments:

I'm still using the same motor I used with the adafruit motor hat. A smaller nema 14. It has plenty of torque at 12 volts. However, I have purchased a 12v nema 17 motor with 0.9°/step (400 step/rev) as an optional upgrade. I'll decide what to keep once I've used it a bit more.
As for attaching it you have options that you will have to work out what is best for your case.
You can:
Direct drive the focus shaft for zero backlash, but may not have the step resolution within the CFZ (critical focus zone)
Direct drive the fine focus knob. May introduce backlash, but increases step resolution.
Gear driven focus shaft or fine focus knob. Minimal added backlash, allows for gear reduction.
Belt driven. Use fiber reinforced belts with enough tension to avoid slack when changing directions. Belts also seem to slacken in the cold.

For hardware, there are shaft couplers and motor brackets. But truly the best asset is access to a 3d printer to produce custom gears, mounts and enclosure.
For connections I use DB9 sockets that can be screwed on.
3 years 5 months ago #62208

Time to create page: 0.848 seconds