INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 16
Vacuum Cleaner!!!! Um...I mean EUREKA!!!!!

I did a complete flush and load of indi-full, indilib1, indi-bin and libindi-dev along with a complete flush and load of the code from github and SUCCESS! This leads me to believe that it was actually a cache problem of some order that was at fault.

Odd that things from the PPA match up better than the compile from github. And, for the record, this is on the arm64  64-bit version Ubuntu 20.04 Pi4. I'll test operations...well, I was going to say next clear night, but I may not live that long....next time I get a few minutes to set the scope on the mount and fiddle with it.

Thanks for the assist! And thanks in advance for the new features!

****Note:  The same approach did not fix the X86_64 20.04 Ubuntu desktop machine.   I noticed that for this machine, some of the elements of indi-full were still coming from sources other than the PPA.  The fix for this was to purge all of the indi and Kstars stuff again, and then only add the minimal items which sourced from the PPA.  Those being:  indi-bin and libindi-dev.  With no 'distractions" from the Ubuntu sources, it compiled normally....so there was an Ubuntu component to the problem.  It probably relates to the order of things listed in the apt install.  Duplicate elements being overwritten by the latest item in the list, assuming equal version numbers.

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Jon Carleton.
2 years 9 months ago #71955

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102
Well that was easy!

I'm glad you got it to build. Now hopefully it actually works, and I didn't break anything! Of course I've been testing it on my rig and it's been solid, but you never know...

-- Kevin

2 years 9 months ago #71965

I was looking for the ABORT button. Is my assumption correct that the new features should show up on the INDI Control Panel? Or is this something that only passes info to EKOS?

Also, did you update the version number?  I'm still showing 1.0 in the General Info tab.  The code that compiled is a different size than the original, so I don't -=think=- I have an old copy running.  I will admit that I have large quantities of stupid I haven't event begun to use yet.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Jon Carleton.
2 years 9 months ago #71971

I have not updated the version number, good point, I should do that.

2 years 9 months ago #71986
Attachments:

Ah! That works exactly as I suspected it would. Therefore, I was running the old version.

How, you ask? (Need I remind about the "stupid I have yet to use?") The old make install put the binary in /usr/local/bin, rather than /usr/bin. My Pi4 $PATH order has /usrlocal/bin prior to /usr/bin, so it finds the old compile first rather than the new version, that now lives in /usr/bin (which is probably less confusing for most folks).

jon@pi4~$ which indi_wmh_focuser
/usr/local/bin/indi_wmh_focuser # doh!!

I am happily running the new version and found the Abort button (right where you put it). You may rest easy now, confident in the knowledge that if...er..when.. I fat-finger a relative position as 30000 instead of 300, I now have an option to resolve the issue rather than going into town for dinner and coming back when it may be finished.

Your assist is much appreciated!
2 years 9 months ago #71991

Awesome, glad you got it working!

I updated the version to 1.1. Thanks for the reminder about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Carleton
2 years 9 months ago #71994

• Thank you received: 226
This latest version has introduced a bug in the backlash correction.
When I issue a move Out it will move out, then in, then out again. Even if I do not change directions. 
And when I move In, no backlash steps are applied. 
Otherwise the abort feature and live position is working nicely. 
Thank you. 
2 years 9 months ago #72052

I changed how the backlash compensation behaves. In previous versions, it was quite simple. If you change directions, it will add whatever you specify in the backlash field.

Now, it behaves different. Now, it will attempt to always approach the desired focus position from the same direction. If you're moving in, then great, it will just move the desired number of steps. If you're moving out, it will deliberately overshoot (by whatever you set in the backlash field), then move in to the desired position. This is a more reliable way to deal with backlash. Just set the backlash field to some large number, greater than however big the actual backlash is. The actual number doesn't matter, as long as it's big enough.

With this new behavior in mind, if you still think there's a bug, please let me know.

-- Kevin
2 years 9 months ago #72053

If that is the case. Then there is still an issue. If I understand your description correctly. All movements will finish in the same direction. My inward travel with no additional movement is in a Clockwise (CW) direction. But my outward direction moves CCW, CW, CCW. 
Thus the next time I move inwards the backlash is not being accounted for. 
To work the way you described it should move CW, CCW, CW. 

Personally I prefer the simple traditional approach. And if I need the focuser to approach from one direction, I would use linear algorithm. 
2 years 9 months ago #72055

You are correct, the new version is completely borked with regards to backlash compensation. Seems when I merged branches together, the merge succeeded, but the end result is not what I wanted. And since I don't use that particular feature myself, I didn't notice it was broken.

I will go back to the old method, since you are right, one can use the linear method if they want that functionality. I should have this checked in later tonight.

Thanks!
-- Kevin
2 years 9 months ago #72056

Thank you. I greatly appreciate all your efforts.
2 years 9 months ago #72057

Okay I reverted the backlash code to the old method. Please let me know if it works properly for you.

-- Kevin
2 years 9 months ago #72059

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds