INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 16
Quick bit of useless info:

First, my setup is working flawlessly. THANK YOU!

Second, some programs (other than EKOS) don't load the configuraton by default (or at all) and may rely on a manual configuration load via the INDI Control Panel. CCDciel, for instance, will only load the config if the OPTIONAL "Load INDI config" in the setup profile is checked.

Just FYI...
2 years 9 months ago #72686

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102
That's okay Jon, the driver loads the board configuration as soon as the driver starts up, even before any clients connect to it.
2 years 9 months ago #72696

• Thank you received: 9
Kevin,
I appreciate all the work you have done here.  Can I ask that your code be migrated tot he INDI library for easier install and updates??  Thanks Bruce
2 years 8 months ago #73942

Now with Rock Pi 4 support! The Rock Pi is basically a speedier version of the Raspberry Pi.

I've updated the readme in the git repository for instructions on how to build the driver.
2 years 7 months ago #74145

• Thank you received: 1
Kevin,
     Just wanted to say thank you very much for your efforts with this.   
It worked for me.   

Thanks
Andy 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Ross
2 years 7 months ago #74443

Kevin,

I wanted to activate an older Raspi SD card and to add your wmh driver. First I updated the package list and then upgraded with apt-get dist-upgrade. The subsequent installation failed with-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works-- Detecting C compiler ABI info-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done-- Detecting C compile features-- Detecting C compile features - done-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done-- Detecting CXX compile features-- Detecting CXX compile features - done-- Found INDI: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindidriver.so;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindiAlignmentDriver.so (found version "1.9.1")-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29")-- Checking for one of the modules 'libgpiod'CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:741 (message):  None of the required 'libgpiod' foundCall Stack (most recent call first):  CMakeLists.txt:39 (pkg_search_module)  -- Checking for one of the modules 'libgpiodcxx'CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:741 (message):  None of the required 'libgpiodcxx' foundCall Stack (most recent call first):  CMakeLists.txt:40 (pkg_search_module)  -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!See also "/indi-wmh-focuser/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Is this due to the recently released bullseye version of Debian? Do you have a suggestion what I can do to get it compiled? (I could send you the complete log file). I tried to copy over the Indi_wmh_focuser from another card, but obviously this is not enough. What else would I need to copy?

Thanks
Kurt
2 years 6 months ago #75067

Looks like I forgot to update the build instructions. There's a new dependency. Try:
sudo apt install libgpiod-dev
and try building again.

I'll update the build instructions.
2 years 6 months ago #75074

Thanks, Kevin, with this additional install the compilation completes successful.
2 years 6 months ago #75077

Kevin, I installed the driver on a fresh StellarMate OS. I can select the driver in web manager and in the profile editor, but the device does not show up in the control panel once the indiserver is started. When I start the driver with indiserver Indi_wmh_focuser I get the following errors:2021-09-21T10:53:52: startup: indiserver indi_wmh_focuser2021-09-21T10:53:52: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::system_error'2021-09-21T10:53:52: Driver indi_wmh_focuser:   what():  cannot open GPIO device gpiochip0: Permission denied2021-09-21T10:53:52: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: stderr EOF2021-09-21T10:53:52: Driver indi_wmh_focuser: restart #1Child process 1628 died This is repeated about 10 times. Is this a driver or a stellarmate issue? Please advise. ThanksKurt 
2 years 6 months ago #75749

Kevin,

Jasem Mutlaq suggested to submit your waveshare hat driver for inclusion in the official INDI repo. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks
Kurt
2 years 6 months ago #75844

Sorry Kurt, I didn't see your problem report until just now.

The driver won't start because of a permissions issue. The driver needs access to the GPIO device, which usually requires root access. The easy fix is to run indiserver as root. On at least some systems, you can add your user to the "gpio" group, which will negate the need to run as root. That seems to work on Raspbian, but not Ubuntu or Armbian.

I will try to get the driver added to 3rdParty one of these days... :)
2 years 6 months ago #75858

Thanks Kevin.

I'll check that tomorrow, the sun has already set today here and I want to go outside and use the clear night to take some images. Do you see a way to integrate the driver into the official INDI repo as Jasem suggested? I think it's a nice addition.

Kurt
2 years 6 months ago #75863

Time to create page: 2.893 seconds