INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

FCUSB not working

• Thank you received: 1

FCUSB not working was created by vince

I always appreciate the support I get on this forum - thanks in advance.

Here's my setup:
KStars/EKOS on Windows 10 machine
Remote INDI server on RPi
Indi webmanager

Other equipment that works fine: Atik CCD, SX CCD, EQMod Mount, ASI EFW.

My focuser is connected to a Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB device.

This whole setup worked (including focuser) worked last in late 2017 (then life got in the way). Nothing has changed to the setup except the windows machine has been upgraded and at that time KStars/EKOS was updated to the latest version (server on RPi has not been updated).

If I create a new profile on indi webserver that includes FCUSB, the server goes online and all drivers appear on the list (including FCUSB). When I try to connect to server from EKOS: Driver indi_fcusb_focus failed to start on the remote INDI server.

I'm looking for insight on how to troubleshoot this situation. I could update the indi server if I have to (I'm not super comfortable in Linux so I try to avoid messing with it if I can).
I appreciate any input you may have for me - thanks.
Vince
3 years 10 months ago #53422

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic FCUSB not working

The FCUSB driver used to be an external driver (created by cloudmakers) which has been replaced with a genuine INDI driver. I am not familiar with the use of KStars on Windows but I suppose that the FCUSB driver now is called Shoestring FCUSB. If that's the case then the RPi needs to be updated as well since the new Shoestring FCUSB and the old FCUSB driver are incompatible.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 10 months ago #53429

Replied by vince on topic FCUSB not working

I should mention that the focuser itself works when i plug it in to its physical controller. I don't know how to test that the Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB device works... although I had assumed it did since its indi driver appeared to be working... maybe not?
3 years 10 months ago #53430

Thanks for that input. On the web manager driver list, it does show up as "Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB." Does that mean it's the right driver?
3 years 10 months ago #53432

Sorry, I don't use Windows nor the web manager. I'd like to know what the driver is called in KStars on the RPi.
3 years 10 months ago #53433

I'd have to run KStars on the RPi? I don't know how to do that. I guess I can try to update indi on the RPi and see if that works. Can you point me to some instructions to do that? I'm sure I can figure it out, but if you know where I can find it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
3 years 10 months ago #53434

Well, no you don't. You can simply run the indiserver with the correct profiles. I meant to ask: which driver do you use on the RPi?
3 years 10 months ago #53437

It should be the Shoestring FCUSB driver. If it is not then that's what is going wrong and you'll need to update indi on the RPi.
3 years 10 months ago #53438

I updated the RPi and still no go. I now have 2 "Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB" drivers in the web manager list. I've tried both, both seem to run but when I try to connect EKOS, I get the failure message.

For reference, in the web manager, the driver name in the drop down list is "Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB." When I start the server, the list of running drivers includes "indi_fcusb_focuser."

Any other thoughts about what I can try?
3 years 10 months ago #53442

I seem to have found the solution:
Include Shoestring driver in web manager but leave the focuser device blank in EKOS. Somehow that works (maybe this is because as you said, the FCUSB is now a genuine INDI driver, included by default?).

Thanks for your assistance.
Vince
3 years 10 months ago #53447

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Vin on topic FCUSB not working

Thanks for this interesting thread. I am going to be getting a Shoestring FCUSB to use with my old Televue Focusmate so this is helpful.

I have one Q. This focuser is what EKOS calls a Simple Focuser (DC/PWM) not the recommended Absolute Focuser. Is there anything that can go wrong by not being an absolute focuser? In particular, one Q that comes to mind is that if focus can't be found at all (eg: clouds have come in) will it keep going in (or out) until it can go no further but than still try to keep going & burn the motors out (or do some other damage)? Or is this a silly Q and EKOS (or the driver) guards against that somehow?

Thank you!
3 years 8 months ago #55838

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic FCUSB not working

I don't have a (major) problem with the Shoestring FCUSB. But it seems that the order in which it loads is important.
If it gives you that error message, check whether the LED is lit and red. If not, unplug the USB and then plug it back in. Then disconnect and reconnect the driver in the control panel.
After that, it works for me every time.
3 years 8 months ago #55841

Time to create page: 1.078 seconds