INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Moonlite focuser doesn't move with 3.4.3 KStars MacOS

• Thank you received: 120
Adding a tcdrain call after write inside tty_write in indicom.c might do the trick.
3 years 9 months ago #54837

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
I've looked through the code and I don't see anything that would pick an SN message and not send it. I have no fragmented messages, or signs of any communication problems. I would rebuild it if I could. Not having much luck, but that's a story for another day.
3 years 9 months ago #54838

Yeah, I'm trying to test now, but looking at Moonlite::sendCommand, it calls tcflush(PortFD, TCIOFLUSH) immediately before calling tty_write_string. tcflush is going to discard all unsent and unread data in the serial port at that moment, and since we are immediately calling tty_write back to back, I don't think the underlying serial port has actually sent the data yet. I think we need to add tcdrain in indicom.c. I'll give it a test as soon as I get it to compile on my Mac.
3 years 9 months ago #54850

I just commented out the tcflush(PortFD, ...) to test it and it solved the problem. I don't know if that is the solution, but it is the problem.

Thanks,
Dave
3 years 9 months ago #54857

So Mac flushes :SN because :FG is called soon after it? What if you replace TCIOFLUSH with TCIFLUSH ?
3 years 9 months ago #54859

That will probably also work. I'm willing to bet there's just a minor difference in the serial implementation in the linux kernel vs the xnu kernel.
3 years 9 months ago #54861

• Thank you received: 138
Calling tcflush just before writing data is just about standard in all drivers. However in the majority of cases sending a command is followed by reading a response.
But some moonlite commands don't return a response and in this case the driver doesn't do the read so the next tty command is the flush at the start of the next command.

At present the moonlite sendCommand has:

if (res == nullptr)
return true;

Perhaps this should be:
if (res == nullptr)
{
tcdrain(PortFD);
return true;
}

It's surprising this hasn't been more of a problem, the send takes milliseconds while the processor is working in microseconds.
3 years 9 months ago #54863

Yeah, a lot of serial code I've used in the past just always put a tcdrain after a write. With the amount of data any of our drivers send, the delay caused by adding tcdrain should be very short, single digit milliseconds in most cases. Adding it to the tty_write function in indicom.c may prevent these kinds of issues from cropping up in all other serial drivers as well.
3 years 9 months ago #54865

tcflush(PortFD, TCIFLUSH);

also works.
3 years 9 months ago #54870

How about the tcdrain when res == nullptr as Chris suggested above? If that works, I'll change it across all drivers.
3 years 9 months ago #54871

That works as well. With the original tcflush:
tcflush(PortFD, TCIOFLUSH); 
Modifying the code to drain:
    if (res == nullptr)
    {
        tcdrain(PortFD);
        return true;
    }

fixes the problem.
3 years 9 months ago #54872

To be clear, this change was made to the indi_moonlite_focus module only. (moonlite.cpp)
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by David Allmon.
3 years 9 months ago #54874

Time to create page: 1.125 seconds