INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO 8 Position Filter Wheel movement problem

• Thank you received: 25
Hello

I got a ZWO 8 Position Filter Wheel last week. I tried to connect through EKOS, and it does connect initially, but when I try to change the filter number, it doesn't move and the port is blocked so I need to restart the whole system to try again.

If someone can advise if I'm using the correct driver, and also I cant get more details from the debug log.
INFO	22.483039 sec	: Session log file /home/astroberry/.indi/logs/2020-08-01/indi_asi_wheel/indi_asi_wheel_20:22:00.log
INFO	27.183566 sec	: Detected 8-position filter wheel.
DEBUG	27.647644 sec	: Connect(): current filter position 1
DEBUG	27.654953 sec	: Toggle Debug Level -- Messages

then i get the following when I try again.
INFO	8.782018 sec	: Session log file /home/astroberry/.indi/logs/2020-08-01/indi_asi_wheel/indi_asi_wheel_20:30:11.log
DEBUG	9.451367 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG	9.961709 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Alignment Subsystem
ERROR	21.832977 sec	: Connect(): EFWOpen() = 4
ERROR	24.872418 sec	: Connect(): EFWOpen() = 4
ERROR	25.692754 sec	: Connect(): EFWOpen() = 4

At this point, I had to restart the whole OS

Thank you...
3 years 7 months ago #57625
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
I had the same issue with my ZWO EFW, and it was caused by something binding up the wheel a bit. In my case it was a filter that was just a little too thick, causing just enough friction for the EFW to error out when turning. Make sure you can easily turn the filter wheel by hand when it is closed up, it shouldn't take much force at all to move. It looks like you are using the correct driver.
3 years 7 months ago #57628

@rickbassham, you were correct. I tested the wheel with the cover off and it worked just fine. Do you have a solution for the thick filter casing? I have 7 filters 1.25" from the Zhumell filter set that comes with its own cases.

Thank you
3 years 7 months ago #57629

Not sure. I only had one that was too thick, and it was one I don't really use, so I just removed it.
3 years 7 months ago #57630

If you are really attached to the filters you have, you could try using washers around each screw for the cover, but you'd need to come up with a way to seal the edge to prevent dust from getting in. Otherwise you'd need to get thinner filters. The EFW product page says:

A lot of filters made for visual use are a bit thicker, and may not fit.

I have the ZWO L+RGB and Ha, SII, OIII narrowband filters, and they fit fine. I tend to get some halos around bright stars with them, but I think they have released a new version of the filters to address that (don't have them, so I can't say for sure). I also have a Baader UV+IR Cut (L) filter that fits.
3 years 7 months ago #57631

Thank you. It looks like thefilter i used was for eye piece and not for filter wheel. I rordered new filters...
3 years 7 months ago #57636

• Thank you received: 138
Visual filters for imaging can give problems because they may let IR through. For example the Baader visual OIII filter does this while the more expensive CCD OIII filter doesn't A crude test is to try to operate an IR remote throuh the filter. If you can it will let iR through.
3 years 7 months ago #57650

Thank you Chris for the tip. I like the IR remote test :) I never thought about it. I ended up ordering the Meade LRGB filter set as it has slightly better light transmission than ZWO (93% vs 90%)
3 years 7 months ago #57669

• Thank you received: 133
One thing you can do is reverse the cover plate of the filter wheel. It's normally a bit sunk in the main body, if you mount it flipped it has a bit more clearance for the filters. It does change the physical thickness of the wheel though, i.e., you might have to adjust your backfocus if you use a corrector that is very sensitive to BF changes.
3 years 7 months ago #57914

Thank you DerPit, it is a smart idea that I didn't think about it before!!! Anyway, I already ordered the FW filters from ZWO LRGB filters...
3 years 6 months ago #59317

Time to create page: 1.099 seconds