INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Sesto Senso 2 does not maintain current/speed settings

• Thank you received: 18
After upgrading my sesto senso to a sesto senso 2, it turns out that the current and speed settings that are set through it’s own web-based interface are not maintained when loading the INDI driver. As soon as INDI driver loads, the settings in the SS2 are set to factory defaults. This means for example that the ‘hold’ current is set at 1, which is much too low for my focuser, so it literally slips out of focus.
From this thread Sesto Senso 2 - Speed, Current & Hold Settings
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid...pe=t&link_source=app it appears that this issue is recognized and a fix/workaround is available. But it’s very technical and I don’t understand how to apply this fix. Does anyone know to apply this?
Many thanks,
Willem Jan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 years 1 month ago #67291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I just added both motor rate and current to the saved config parameters so that they are remembered. Please check if this works.
3 years 1 month ago #67297

Thank you Jasem. How do I apply this update? Just tried an update of INDI, but it says everything already the latest version.
3 years 1 month ago #67301

Nightly packages take 24 hours to update.
3 years 1 month ago #67304

Ah, got it. Thanks! Will wait until tomorrow. Then simple update with following commands?
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update
3 years 1 month ago #67305

• Thank you received: 5
@Willem: Sorry, I only just saw your original message. The original INDI driver logic applied the built-in Slow motor preset for the Sesto Senso 2 on connect. The changes I made to expose the motor settings via the INDI driver removed this - so all recent nightly builds shouldn't override the current SS2 settings, even if they were set outside of INDI. So I think the issue is you weren't using a recent enough version of INDI. Unfortunately, the main changes went in immediately after the most recent (v1.8.8) release of INDI in January. So you will need a recent nightly build to see the changes.

@Jasem: I'm on the fence about overriding the SS2 motor settings via the saved INDI values. I was taking the approach that the settings stored on the SS2 flash were authoritative. It is quite possible that users may use the SS2 web interface to fine tune the motor settings outside of INDI. But that said, perhaps the INDI settings should have precedence? I wasn't sure where you typically draw the line when it comes to devices that maintain their own state...?
3 years 1 month ago #67316

Hi Ian, thank you for your response! I'm pretty sure I'm on the January 9 released INDI. So if your changes are from after that release, you are quite right that I don't have the latest. Can you explain how I install the 'nightly build'? I tried earlier today to update INDI, but it says I'm up to date, probably referring to the Jan. release.
As for who takes precedence, either way would probably work for me. As long as it is clear which one to use. Probably slight preference for INDI managing it, but others may have other thoughts. In the cases where you want to use the SS2 interface, you're probably not using INDI anyway.
3 years 1 month ago #67317

I see your point. So if the values were really stored in the EEPROM, they were not then read correctly by the driver?
3 years 1 month ago #67352

Just checking in to see if there has been any follow up on this. Is there agreement on how to solve the issue, leaving the SS2 settings leading and ensure the INDI driver does not override profile vs Ignore the SS2 settings and set all parameters in Ekos?
I'd be happy to try out a 'nightly build', but don't know how to install that, and would like to limit that to only this driver.
3 years 1 month ago #67505

The driver never read the motor settings values before my changes - it just simply applied the default "slow" motor settings preset stored in the EEPROM via a serial command on connect:
bool SestoSenso2::setupRunPreset()
 {
     char res[SESTO_LEN] = {0};
     if (command->loadSlowPreset(res) == CMD_FALSE)
     {
         return false;
     }
     return true;
 }

Perhaps there should be an option within the driver to determine whether the EEPROM or INDI motor settings take precedence?
3 years 1 month ago #67516

Hi Willem, I'll chase up with Jasem on how best to handle motor settings precedence. In theory it ought to be possible to offer the user an option as to what takes precedence - so I might look into that.

Regarding installing an INDI nightly build - it depends on the CPU architecture and OS you're running INDI on....?
3 years 1 month ago #67517

Sounds good Ian! Oh, yes, my mistake. Running Linux Ubuntu Mint 20.04 and using Intel Atom X7-E3950 CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 years 1 month ago #67525

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds